The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:32pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
power losses (Read 441 times)
grosser
Community Member

power losses
Sep 16th, 2006, 1:23pm

hello

can you tell me what are the main causes ofpower losses in submicron technologies?

and what are the ways to reduce it?

the second thing is what are the rules of drawing clock in the layout to avoid delays and distortions?

regards

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: power losses
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2006, 5:18am

grosser wrote on Sep 16th, 2006, 1:23pm:
hello

can you tell me what are the main causes ofpower losses in submicron technologies?

and what are the ways to reduce it?

the second thing is what are the rules of drawing clock in the layout to avoid delays and distortions?

regards

hmm.... power losses... well i guess you mean digital circuits so, for deep submicron technologies leakage (gates that are not switching/gates that are off) is a problem. Ways to address it are to use stacked device logic cells rather than standard cells...

clock tree routing and buffering insures clock skew (delays/distortions) are kept to a minimum. I believe this is a standard thing that most digital synthesis tools can do for you if you give it the constraints.

cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.