The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 12:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
blocker profile- system spec (Read 2482 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

blocker profile- system spec
Sep 18th, 2006, 1:34am

Hi I was just wondering how the blocker profile relates to the receiver specifications. For example GSM has a blocker profile where the largest in band blocker is -23 dBm at 3 MHz offset from the center frequency. As i understand this somehow relates to the required 1 dB compression point. Can anyone tell me what the relationship is and how it relates to receiver performanc...eg. BER or SNR?

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: blocker profile- system spec
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2006, 3:38am

The receiver must be able to handle a -23dBm blocker and still achieve the required sensitivity (in GSM this is -99dBm which is 3dB above normal sensitivity).
If this -23dBm blocker caused compression, the result of loss of gain and increase of noise (the increase of noise is not just down to line-Up gain loss, but to non-linear effects and recprical mixing which cause an additional increase in noise floor) will cause the receiver to lose SNR. A specific SNR is required by the demodulation to guarantee a certain BER dependant on your ADC/demoulation circuit.
So one would normally specify that the each circuit must have a compression point BEYOND the signal level which is induced by the blocker. Often this margin is 3~10dB dependant on how easy it is. So a GSM LNA could have P1dB at about -15dBm (ie a headroom of 8dB) whereas the following mixer might only have an headroom of 6dB because its more tough to design. eventually the combined compression point of the receiver may be somewhere nearer -20dBm.
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: blocker profile- system spec
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2006, 10:11am

Ok I get it thanks

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.