The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 25th, 2024, 11:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
difference MIC and FDTD (+ crash) (Read 5252 times)
Paul Geraedts
Community Member

GIGO

Enschede, Netherlands
difference MIC and FDTD (+ crash)
Sep 22nd, 2006, 3:58am

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find details about the Finite-Difference Time-Domain refinement method as implemented in SpectreRF?

I have found a good article on the Multi-Interval Chebyshev refinement method already, but I would like to know when to use which. http://www.ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/6899/18566/00855300.pdf?tp=&arnumber=855300&...

As far as I understand, MIC is available in both forced and autonomous PSS and FDTD is only available in forced PSS.

I also found a bug in Spectre related to MIC; see the attached logfile.

When you reuse *unrefined* PSS data (so the periodic steady-state data itself as written with writePSS without having MIC enabled) while MIC is enabled, a segmentation fault results. It does not matter if you set checkPSS to yes or no.

Paul

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul Geraedts
Community Member

GIGO

Enschede, Netherlands
Re: difference MIC and FDTD (+ crash)
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2006, 7:16am

As it turns out, a work-around of the segmentation fault is reusing the already *refined* PSS data (instead of the unrefined PSS data). So enabling MIC in both PSS analyses. The periodic steady-state will get even more refined now, so basically it has the same result as decreasing psaratio.

Paul

View Profile   IP Logged
byang
Community Member

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2006, 9:42am

Hi, Paul,

As the original developer of the method (some years ago), sorry for this kind usability issue and the crash. I am not with Cadence now. However, if you can send me your netlist, I can try to relay it to Cadence R&D to take a look. My e-mail address is byang@gemini-da.com.

The difference between finite difference method and shooting-Newton method is that the periodicity is enforced exactly in finite difference method. In shooting-Newton method, the solution after a period can differ by some error tolerance. MIC is high-order finite-difference method. If you want very low noise floor and high accuracy, it can help.

Regards,

Baolin

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul Geraedts
Community Member

GIGO

Enschede, Netherlands
Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:26am

Hi Baolin,

Thanks for your quick reply! Don't worry about the crash, the work-around does the trick nicely. The netlist that I'm using contains a lot of stuff which I'm not allowed to pass on. Another similar example will probably show the same behaviour. Hopefully somebody from Cadence is reading this as well (Andrew? ;). But thanks for your offer!

Yes, MIC seems very useful. I've read somewhere that it can get the noise floor to levels of about -200dB! Great for oscillator design.

So am I right that FDTD, as implemented in Spectre, is a refinement method? So that always a (coarse) periodic steady-state has to be calculated first with Shooting-Newton (the combination Harmonic Balance & FDTD is probably a bit silly, right?). So MIC is as exact as FDTD (otherwise, why would you want to use MIC)?

I still don't really get when to use which method (FDTD/MIC). Could you give me some general advise?

I don't want to bother you too much with it though. Do you know of any good article on FDTD as implemented in Spectre?

Thanks again,

Paul

View Profile   IP Logged
byang
Community Member

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2006, 11:32am

Hi, Paul,

MIC, as it is implemented in SpectreRF, is one type of FD method. It is just that the integration method is Chebyshev method, which could be high-order, while non-MIC FD method is only up to 2nd-order (Gear or Trap method).

Jacob White and Ken Kundert's book on Steady State method has some information on the finite difference method.

Baolin

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul Geraedts
Community Member

GIGO

Enschede, Netherlands
Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2006, 2:19pm

Hi Baolin,

I've never understood that both methods are so similar! I think I'll use MIC exclusively from now on, as it seems to me that MIC is an improvement on all fronts. Or do I overlook situations in which using the 2nd-order method can have advantages?

I have seen the book that you mentioned in our library. I'll have a look at it.

Baolin, thanks for your posts. You have been a great help! (To get accurate information on these topics is pretty hard for a regular user as myself.)

Paul

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.