The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectre dc operating points/model calculation (Read 3300 times)
reilly

Spectre dc operating points/model calculation
Oct 04th, 2006, 7:42pm

Hi,
I'm miserable on trying to do a hand calculation during design. Most of the time, we try to start determine the proper W/L for a transistor using Id=k/2(W/L)(Vgs-vth)^2 depending the operating region desire to operate at. The problem arise here is, in the model file, the k or betaeff output from spectre is a changing value depending on the W/L of the transistor (or based on model selector). I did tried to make a thorough calculation based on bsim3v3 equation to calculate vth, vdsat etc refering to manual from cadence and bsim, yet still some mismatch arise, is it I miss out the homotopy calculation that simulator did? Can anyone point me out how spectre come out with these values for dc operating points, equation should be great if anyone can share it here. The purpose of matching the value is to aids in first hand calculation to determine the approximate W/L which I feel will increase my confidence on the dimension I had chosen and also countercheck on the result. This is the way designer should work. Any advice to offer? Thanks in advance!
signal            OP("/I0/NM9" "??")
betaeff             414.964u        
cbb                 133.768f        
cbd                   7.22042a      
cbg                 -48.4775f      
cbs                 -85.2974f      
cdb                 -75.4017a      
cdd                   3.80463f      
cdg                  -3.93929f      
cds                 210.058a        
cgb                 -56.412f        
cgd                  -3.76909f      
cgg                 221.473f        
cgs                -161.292f        
cjd                  10.1642f      
cjs                  12.3906f      
csb                 -77.2802f      
csd                 -42.7591a      
csg                -169.057f        
css                 246.38f        
gds                  17.2005n      
gm                   22.5107u      

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Spectre dc operating points/model calculation
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2006, 8:35am

It's not practical for designers to do detailed hand calculations of the entire model equations these days. I don't know why anyone would want to do that. Sure, you can use the level 0 or level 1 type equations to give you the ability to judge relative relationships and approximate starting points for your circuit, but really a circuit simulator is necessary in order to check things.

You should be able to use the spectre documentation and the BSIM documentation on the BSIM site - but I seriously doubt that doing this is something that designers _need_ to do. When I was doing design, I used to use the textbook type equations to get the relationships, but leave it to the simulator to get a more realistic complete circuit picture.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.