The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 1:50pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hartley oscillator - best approach (Read 589 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
hartley oscillator - best approach
Oct 05th, 2006, 2:07am

I would like to build a circuit for a hartley oscillator and was wondering what design to best go for. The frequency should be around 500MHz. So I was thinking about whether to use discrete components and use an ugly board construction.

See http://users.easystreet.com/w7zoi/bboard.html as an example.

Or should I rather go and use a chip to which I can attach external cpacitors/inductors.
See MAX2622 datasheet. (This is based on a Colpitts oscillator, but I need to use a hartley configuration)

What do you guys think. Can anyone give some recommendations?
One more thing, I have to use a pretty large external capacitance of 60pF in the Hartley configuration, meaning the inductor would have to be <1.7nH for 500MHz. Is that possible at all? I mean can I get the oscillator to oscillate to 500MHz with such a big capacitance?

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Re: hartley oscillator - best approach
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2006, 2:59am

So I thought about a suitable way to implement an Hartley osc. easily and would like to use the Max2620.
The first picture shows the chip as a common-collector Colpitt oscillator.
My questions is whether I can use the Max2620 for an hartley oscillator with a configuration shown in the second picture? Of course I would need a capacitor connected to pin 2, but is there anything else I need to consider?

Cheers

osc_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.