The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 1:06pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to simulate verilogA models (Read 9188 times)
chviswanadh

Bangalore
how to simulate verilogA models
Oct 05th, 2006, 10:27pm

Hello,

I am new to verilogA. I want to know how to simulate the verilogA models at command promp.

Secondly while using the cross function can we set a threhold limit other that 0 +1 and -1.

Thanks
chviswanadh

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: how to simulate verilogA models
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2006, 3:44am

chviswanadh wrote on Oct 5th, 2006, 10:27pm:
I am new to verilogA. I want to know how to simulate the verilogA models at command promp.

Which command prompt?  (You can't mean the MS-DOS or unix command prompt.)  What simulator are you using?  Generally, you have to find the right syntax to add the Verilog-A model to your netlist, and then you use the simulator at the command prompt the way you did before.

Quote:
Secondly while using the cross function can we set a threhold limit other that 0 +1 and -1.

You're confusing the threshold limit and the direction argument.  The threshold is always 0, but of course, if you want to detect V(clock) crossing 2.5 volts, then you write cross(V(clock) - 2.5, 0) so that you are detecting "V(clock) - 2.5" crossing 0.  The +1, -1, 0 are to detect crossing from below to above, above to below, or either.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
chviswanadh

Bangalore
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2006, 7:34am

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for your reply.

So cant we simulate verilogA code at unix command prompt???  (as verilog models can be through ncverilog)
I am using Spectre simulator. How can we simulate verilogA models at command prompt through spectre simulator??

I was confused with the direction and threshold, now I understood how to use cross function Smiley.

Thanks
chviswanadh

View Profile   IP Logged
bernd

Munich/Germany
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2006, 8:37am

Quote:
So cant we simulate verilogA code at unix command prompt???  (as verilog models can be through ncverilog)

You can't really like you are used from ncverilog.
You can simulate with VerilogAMS code form the command prompt
similar to NC-Verilog with Cadnence AMS Designer.
I don't know if this is also possible for Mentors ADVanceMS.

Quote:
I am using Spectre simulator.
How can we simulate verilogA models at command prompt through spectre simulator??

You have to have a netlist which includes the VerilogA models.
Something like this:
ahdl_include "/<pathToYourLibrary>/libName/cellName/veriloga/veriloga.va"

Then in principal you can simulate with Spectre
spectre <yourNetlist>

Try 'spectre -h' from the command line.

Just to satisfy my curiosity why do you want to simulate VerilogA form the
command line with Spectre?

Bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
chviswanadh

Bangalore
Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2006, 3:15am

Hello Bernd,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually we have less number of licenses for ADE, So I thought if we have a way of simulating the verilogA models other than ADE.

That is why I asked how to do it in command prompt.

I have another question here, what are the other simulators we can use for simulating verilog models other than spectre.

chviswanadh

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2006, 6:14am

Bernd is right, you put the ahdl_include line in your netlist along with the instantiation of the element.

ahdl_include "mymos.va"

M1 (d g s b) mymos l=1u w=10u

where the file "mymos.va" includes the definition of the module "mymos"

chviswanadh wrote on Oct 7th, 2006, 3:15am:
I have another question here, what are the other simulators we can use for simulating verilog models other than spectre.

Verilog-A models can be simulated in Spectre, HSpice, Eldo, Agilent ADS, Simucad/Silvaco SmartSpice, Xpedion's GoldenGate ... the list goes on.  Some of these require a license for the extra feature.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
chviswanadh

Bangalore
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2006, 12:32am

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to know whether I am doing the right way to simulate the behavioral models. So i am breifing what I am doing now.

I am making a cell view with verilogA editor and making a symbol out of that. Then I am using this symbol in the design where I need to use it.

But in the netlist generated from such designs I didnt see any statement like ahdl_include.

Is the way I am simulating the verilogA modes right??

Thanks
Chviswanadh

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2006, 4:33am

You should search this forum for posts about "stop views"

I have a different way of generating the netlist ( not through ADE), so I don't know how to get the ahdl_include files in that way, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with stop views.

I thought you were trying to avoid using ADE ...

chviswanadh

Bangalore
Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2006, 3:38am

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for the reply I will look into that.

Actually I am pretty new to VerilogA. So I am getting an idea of how to simulate them at the same time I want to avoid using ADE as well.

Thanks
chviswanadh

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.