The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 8th, 2024, 12:32pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Variable Gain with table_model (Read 83 times)
bessib

Variable Gain with table_model
Oct 30th, 2006, 8:56am

Hello,

i want to model Gain Compression of a mixer caused by insufficient LO-Power with the table_model function. Here is my script and the table file:

V(in)  <+ 50*I(in);                                                                                   //50Ohms input
           Power_LO_Vsquared = pow(V(LO),2)/50;                                                   //determining LO-Power
           Power_LO_dBm = abs(10*log(1e-30+Power_LO_Vsquared/1e-3));              //conversion to dBm
           Gain_tbl_dB = $table_model(Power_LO_dBm, "mixer_gain_temp2.tbl","");   //loading Gain from file
           Gain_tbl_V = pow(10,Gain_tbl_dB/20);                                                     //conversion of Gain
           V(out) <+ Gain_tbl_V*V(in);                                                                    //weighting Input with Gain

#mixer_gain_temp2.tbl
#
#LO-Power(dBm)              Gain(dB)
0                        2.6
1                        3.6
2                        6
3                        5.6
4                        6.6
5                        7.6
6                        8.4
7                        9.2

The script reads out the correct Gain but unfortunately there must be a problem in mulitplying the Gain with the input voltage.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Variable Gain with table_model
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2006, 12:00pm

In line 2 V(LO) would be the instantaneous LO voltage. Probably not what you want.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
bessib

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 7:47am

Thanks for your reply, Ken. Is there a way to extract the peakvalue of the voltage as a variable of type real?

Bessi

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:40pm

If you do, I think you'll end up with hidden state, the bane of RF simulations ...  But you are asking for some way to remember the past history of the model.  If you can save it to a node, rather than a real, then you might be OK.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 8:39pm

Rectify and filter.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.