The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 5:47pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
smart voltage regulator (Read 1009 times)
ccd

smart voltage regulator
Nov 01st, 2006, 10:08am

Hello.  I've been thinking about a way to build voltage regulator that runs on a battery, let's say 3.3V or something.  With a fresh battery, this voltage regulator is on and regulates down to, say 0.8V, but as the battery voltage drops down to 0.8V, the regulator senses this low battery voltage and bypasses itself, so that the battery is connected directly to the regulator output. Basically, this regulator shuts itself off when regulation is not needed when it senses low supply voltage.

I appreciate any idea you may have.

Regards,
ccd

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: smart voltage regulator
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 8:02am

What you are describing already exists. It is called an LDO (Low Drop Out ) Regulator.

Google it, lots of manufactureres make them, and lots of papaers on the subject.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ccd

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 9:16am

Thanks for your response, but what I'm looking for is NOT  how to design a LDO regulator, but a way to sense low supply voltage and bypass the regulator because the regulator is no longer functional  at this low supply voltage.  What I could do is use a low voltage bandgap reference (0.6V perhaps) to detect the voltage drop to pull the gate of the pmos regulator driver low to short the load to the supply at that point.

View Profile   IP Logged
Raul
Community Member

San Jose, CA.
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2006, 4:17pm

What you describe will naturally happen with an LDO. When the battery is too low the LDO will go into dropout. If you want to turn off the bias current you will need to have a comparator comparing the voltage at the feedback input of the error amp of the LDO to some reference slightly lower to the voltage reference used by the LDO. Then feed this signal to the digital control to disable the LDO.

regards, Raul Perez
View Profile   IP Logged
ccd

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2006, 6:58pm

Thanks Raul.  

I'm concerned about LDO not naturally going into dropout when the error amp and bandgap reference are also on the same battery as the LDO.  When the battery voltage drops, the error amp becomes non-functional or partially functional, will it still correctly drive the gate of the LDO pmos device low?  This is why I think a comparator and another voltage reference are needed to ensure the LDO is disabled.

I hope my thinking is wrong and that the comparator and voltage reference are not needed. Please give me your feedback.

Thanks again,
ccd

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2006, 8:06am

An LDO if propoerly designed drives the pass transistor into triode region (slammed on) as the power supply decreases. This pegs the output to the battery supply.  Well designed LDO's use about 25-35 uA of current to make this all happen. No extra circuits required.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.