The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 8:16am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Series transistors (Read 26140 times)
aval

Series transistors
Nov 08th, 2006, 1:45am

Hi,

I need to increase the lenght of a transistor in the design to about 6 times its current size. The current lenght is at the max allowed by the process. One way to do this is to put 6 transitors in series of the same W/L in series. This should result in W/(L*6).

As far as I know this is a valid implementation. The simulator however interprets this differently (of the 6 series transistors 5 of them will be in triode). Are any results different because of this? Do I have to look out for anything in such an implementation?

These transistors are being used for current mirrors and the two NCH loads of a diff-amp.

thanks in advance
A.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Series transistors
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2006, 2:06am

Hi,

I think it should normally not be a problem. However, you should make sure of 2 things:

1. The model of the transistor used in schematic (6*L) may be different from the one you
actually have in physical implementation.

2. Due to the above, you may have poorer output impedance. Just run a simulation to check
how the block behaves with the correct transistor arrangement.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
aval

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2006, 8:18am

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for responding.

>>1. The model of the transistor used in schematic (6*L) may be different from the one you
>>actually have in physical implementation.

The physical implementation matches schematic drawing. The schematic also has 6 transistors in series (similar to layout). Is that what you are referring to here? All simulations are with series transistors as well.

The reason I ask this question is that I saw some odd behavior in simulations. I was using these transistors as loads for the first stage of a miller compensated two stage diff amp. This diff amp is a part of a bandgap reference. At a few corners, for transient sims, the amp rails to an impossible state (+ve input > -ve input, output railed to ground).

DC operating point and PM/GM/loop gain simulate fine. Nothing is borderline. This odd state shows up only in transient sims.

This happens only if the start-up circuit is connected (during start-up, the output is forced to ground). An external enable pulse is used to control the start-up circuit. The start-up circuit is off when the opamp is in the railed condition.  

Reducing the miller cap drastically doesnt force the opamp to oscillate either. Spice and spectre give me the same results.

Any ideas??

cheers,

Andy.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2006, 12:54pm

Hi aval,
try posting a diagram.. it might help you get a better replies... but your startup circuit sounds iffy.
btw i am not quite clear how this/why this 6*L thing works... can;t you just use cascode load to increase output impedance ?
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2006, 11:25pm

Hi Andy,

Could you please post the schematic? I think your problem may lie outside the amp itself.

ACWWong's suggestion of using a cascode is wise if you have the headroom for it, although I think
your amp is still fine. Possibly, there is some issue with your startup network.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2006, 11:30pm

ACWWong wrote on Nov 9th, 2006, 12:54pm:
Hi aval,
try posting a diagram.. it might help you get a better replies... but your startup circuit sounds iffy.
btw i am not quite clear how this/why this 6*L thing works... can;t you just use cascode load to increase output impedance ?
cheers
aw

Hi,

I agree that a cascode may also be a good idea when the headroom is available. However, to answer your question, placing several
devices in series effectively increases the L, just as placing many in parallel would increase the W. You can think of it more easily
if you consider that even a single MOS transistor may be visualized as a distributed device, with several smaller devices combining in
series (split the channel into equal parts), and tied to the same Gate and Bulk. Although the channel pinches off towards
the drain end, there is still a channel present below the pinchoff point.

Considering the MOS device once more as a series of smaller MOS devices, it is easy to see that only some of the devices at the end
have their channels pinched-off, while the rest do not. Hence, the simulation shows all but one devices as operating in the linear region.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2006, 6:50am

The practice of using series resistors to create the effect of larger channel length is common and approrpriate.

If you actually integrate Id over the the channel lengths:     ∫Id dy1 + ∫Id dy2  (where dy1 is the channel of one device and dy2 is another device, in series) they are actually equivalent to a single device of the summed up channel lengths.

i.e.  ∫Id dy1 + ∫Id dy2 = ∫Id dy_total

What you discover is that it is impossible to have more than one device, in a series string, that is in saturation, as it turns out the superior device in the series will always be the only device in saturations and the rest should be in linear ( I would bet that that is what your simulator is stating).  If anyone wants the math behind it I have it written down from an analysis I did several years ago.

So yes, it is a valid implementation and yes your simulator is simulating it correctly.  If you are still unsure, a perfectly valid way to test the theory is to simulate/plot the standard MOS I-V curves with Id versus Vds with Vgs swept, using your serie devices as a single transistor.  You should get reasonable plots.

I should also mention, that the macro device, if not bias correctly will show all devices in linear just as if a single device of that channel length (6*L) was in linear. So my comments are directed to the situation that the macro device is biased in saturation.

Excellence in ESD and IO Design
www.srftechnologies.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aval

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2006, 7:53am

Thanks all for your replies. The opamp circuit is attached. Its the transistor series that is marked up as M2 and M3 that is giving me grief. It is currently shown as 4 in series because thats what works in sims.

The reason I have so many in series is to increase the overdrive. This is a low power implementation (15nA Id). The original implementation had just one transistor (the weakest possible for the models) which had an overdrive of 1mV ( Undecided ) at some corners.

To increase the overdrive, I weakened the transistors. Increasing current was not an option. The maximum I could increase the channel length by for the current mirror loads (M2  & M3)  was 4*L. Anything more series transistors, the opamp went into the odd railed state at some corners. Nothing else seems to affect this entering into the odd state.

To answer the other question about doing some comparative sims : I did do a couple. I did some sims with 3 series transistors (3u = L each) and one transistor with L = 9u. The Ws were the same.

One set of sims was to vary id and measure vgs. The delta between the vgs's was at max 5%. The other simulation I did was keep vgs constant and vary vds. The delta between the series transistors and single transistor was about 25%.

I will attach the BGR picture separately. The startup circuit is just a NCH that pulls the pbias_u (output of the opamp) low during POR and is shown in bgr.png.

thanks,
Andy

bgrOpamp.png
View Profile   IP Logged
aval

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2006, 7:57am

BGR picture attached. The circuit diagrams are turning out to be big. Do you have any suggestions to make them smaller? The opamp shown in bgr.png was attached with the earlier post.

In the bgrOpamp figure, the grounds seem disconnected in the circuit. They are not.

cheers,
Andy

bgr.png
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2006, 8:59am

The bulk connection of the M2 side of your current mirror (under the differential pair) are all tied together, but not tied to ground.

Tie the body to ground and see if that changes things.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
aval

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2006, 10:01am

Thanks  for the response.

The bulk connections are all implicitly (by naming the net) or explicitly tied to ground.

Sorry for the misleading schematic. It comes from multiple edits to opt in and opt out those series transistors (and not having a cleaned up snapshot of the schematic at home to post).

Oh yes the input transistors of the first stage is in subthreshold and so is M6. All current mirrors are in saturation.

I find that I see this problem even if I add a resistor of the order of 2M to these series transistors (4 series transistors + 2M resistor in series). The 2M is because thats what the gds of each of those triode transistors simulate to be. Just another data point for me.

thanks& regards,
andy

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2006, 2:41pm

Andy:

The currents that you are at are such that parasitics are going to affect the transient and statrtup of the circuit in a big way. Also, ask the question if the models are valid at the nA currents that you are using?

What is the foundry process and model set from? A lot of foundries have invalid models down at the currents that you are using.

If your models are good (important that you question this strongly!) you may want to leave a single current mirror structure at the bottom (just 2 transistors, or 4 if you have the headroom for a cascode current mirror instead) and instead drop the PMOS current source way down instead.

Question the models, and then ask what is available to reduce the current. Resistors probably are not going to get it done due to area required.

Some micropower processes (I am thinking Medtronics and other that do IC's for things like pacemakers) have good micropower models and also make availalble a high-R poly layer (like 300K ohm per square) but that is not the case here probably.

Jerry Twomey
imd1

Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2006, 4:15am

I am not sure, and I suppose you have checked this circuit throughout, but it sounds to me like the systematic offset is getting
out of hand at some corners, and this is driving the output to the rails.

I assume that you have sized the current sources so that you have equal current densities in the input stage mirror and the output stage device. If this is the case, then your output device is *not* matched to the composite series transistor device in the input stage, and the simulator (depending on the model you use...) may pick different model bins for each one of them. Both  the composite device and the output device behave the same (region of operation, etc) in some situations, but at some corners the predicted current for each is far enough apart  that the output rails. Since it goes to Vdd one knows that the ouput device is drawing less current than it should. Use a composite series device in the ouput stage and resimulate to check for this.

As already mentioned you will be boldly  pushing the foundry model where it has never gone before, so your design "as is" may actually work fine (long devices, not too narrow) ,... or not. Using the same unit device in the input and output at least gives you the comfort of meeting qualification tests, and if totally wrong then you'll have some interesting discussions later with the test engineer once the chip is back and on the bench.

Been there, btw, w/ something very similar.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2006, 11:57am

"interesting discussions"

hm... lets not forget, that run into the foundry will cost you between $50K and $1.4 million...

Suggest having a dialog with the foundry model group on the validity of the models, both size and current range.

THis is a must have. Know the limits of you models, or be willing to burn the $$$ and time.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
Croaker

Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2006, 8:58pm

Well, if you put two MOSFETs in series (gates connected together), the top FET needs at least a Vth drop to be on, so the bottom FET will have a drain voltage that is at least one Vth below its gate voltage; the bottom FET is not in saturation.

It's not too tricky to show this config behaves like a single MOSFET with W/(2*L).  Just set I1=I2 for the cases where the top is saturated or linear.

I believe it's always better to use the same L, firstly because the nominal Vth is the same, and also because each L sees the same diffusion variation (i.e. Leff = L - Ldiff - Xd).  Right... 6*(L-0.2) gives a desired ratio, vs. 6L-0.2 (i.e. not 6 times the length of a single FET).

For those series transistors, the body effect of course is going to come into play and reduce current drive.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.