The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 6:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
blocker requirements (Read 2846 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

blocker requirements
Nov 15th, 2006, 4:46am

Hi all,

I have some questions about intermodulation/blocker requirements. I read a paper on building a 802.15.4 compliant receiver, and the author listed the 802.15.4 specs. Some of them such as NF were calculated using the 802.15.4 standard's specs, and some of them such as minimum sensitivity and adjacent/alternate channel rejection were given by the 802.15.4 standard.

Anyway one of the specs was blocker level (-30 dBm), but when i read the 802.15.4 standard i found no mention of any blocker requirement. Does anybody know how blocker level is found? This -30 dBm blocker level imposes stricter requirements on the receiver linearity than the adjacent/alternate channel rejection...

Also, since the receiver must co-exist with other 2.4 GHz devices (Bluetooth etc) is it common practice for the receiver to be designed with stricter blocker requirements than those specified in the 802.15.4 standard?

thanks in advance,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: blocker requirements
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2006, 7:08am

aaron_do wrote on Nov 15th, 2006, 4:46am:
Anyway one of the specs was blocker level (-30 dBm), but when i read the 802.15.4 standard i found no mention of any blocker requirement. Does anybody know how blocker level is found? This -30 dBm blocker level imposes stricter requirements on the receiver linearity than the adjacent/alternate channel rejection...

I think this refers to ETSI (European telecommunications standards institute) spec EN 300 440.

aaron_do wrote on Nov 15th, 2006, 4:46am:
Also, since the receiver must co-exist with other 2.4 GHz devices (Bluetooth etc) is it common practice for the receiver to be designed with stricter blocker requirements than those specified in the 802.15.4 standard?

Best thing here is to benchmark with the competition:
Try looking at datasheets from:
NordicVLSI
Chipcon
Jennic
etc.

cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: blocker requirements
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2006, 5:56pm

Hi aw,

thanks a lot

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.