The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 2:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Passive element modeling in Cadence (Read 11105 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Passive element modeling in Cadence
Nov 23rd, 2006, 6:40am

Normally, those passive elements will be a w-element, or a touchstone file. They will either be represented by a subckt, or special instance in cadence library.

However, cadence analogLib does not support w-element instance and s-parameter instance. Currently, we manually edit spice netlist and add those passive elements into the circuit.

Any suggestion to make those passive elements could be directly extracted from schematic?

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: Passive element modeling in Cadence
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2006, 11:06pm

s - parameter instances are supporte.. just use an n2port

on top of that you can use the tline, mtline,  msline
models, and they even have tools to help you pick the right geomtry for the impedance..

I took the subcircuit model they generated for a shielded 2 wire transmission line, and modified it for arbitrary length,
put it with its own symbol..
I even wrote a verilog-ams model for the block to have the correct delay for the length when I use it in a digital (ie CML ) context..
maybe after the holidays I can write that up..
jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2006, 5:51am

any way to use w-element?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2006, 9:20am

If I remember right Spectre does have a component called the 'mtline' that is supposed to be a superset of the 'w-element'. If you applied Spectre to an HSpice netlist containing such a component, it might very well just simulate it without difficulty. If you wanted to use it in a Spectre netlist you would have to use "spectre -h mtline" to help you specify the parameters in Spectre format.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.