The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 12:49pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vt vs. Length of MOS (Read 7955 times)
RDCam

Cambridge, UK
Vt vs. Length of MOS
Nov 27th, 2006, 2:05am

I noticed the trend of Vt (threshold voltage) Vs. Length (um) for the low-vt  nchannel MOS transistors in recent sub-micron technologies has changed. Previously the Vt for shorter channel lengths would be lower, but now it seems significantly higher cmopared to longer channel(>2u). The gradient of the Vt Vs L curve for L <~1.5u is very high.  Are there any process experts who can explain this ? Will greatly appreciate any clarification on something that has been bugging me for a few months already!

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Vt vs. Length of MOS
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2006, 7:27am

Perhaps you are seeing the "Reverse-short-channel effect" which is an increasing vth with decreasing L to a peak, before vth again decrease at very short channels.... perhaps your vth vs L hump is just under 1.5um.

Try looking at something Tsividis "the MOS transistor" or googling it.

View Profile   IP Logged
RDCam

Cambridge, UK
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2006, 3:43am

The keyword RSCE is exactly what I was looking for. Once I could label the phenomenon I am able to find literature on it ! Thanks a lot.

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2006, 8:36am

Basically it has something to do with the way the p-dopant diffuses, creating a higher Vth, even though Vth should be getting lower with channel-length.

Please post a link to any good explanatory page about this.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.