The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 1:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
phase noise time/freq domain simulation prob. (Read 1500 times)
Aigneryu

phase noise time/freq domain simulation prob.
Dec 05th, 2006, 5:25pm

Dear all,

Right now I am confused by the time domain noise simulation for phase noise.
I setup is that I only compute the phase noise at 1MHz offset

All voltage is taken as differential signal.
I first plot 3 items: phase noise, the I plot the output noise, and the rms spectrum of the signal.
It agrees that

phase noise = 20*log10(pnoise output noise in V/sqrt(Hz) / PSS differential rms voltage )
                    = 20*log10(pnoise output noise in V/sqrt(Hz) / PSS differential peak voltage ) + 3dB

And I switched to time domain noise simulation, also only compute 1MHz offset.
Then I get a noise power over an oscillation cycle.
I take the average power, and divided by the sqaure of the rms PSS amplitude.

10*log10(tdnoise average power in V^2/Hz) - 20*log10(PSS differential rms voltage), and this number is 3dB higher then the previous phase noise result at 1MHz offset. So it turns out to be that:

phasenoise = 10*log10(tdnoise/2 in V^2/Hz) - 20*log10(PSS differential rms voltage)
                = 10*log10(tdnoise/2 in V^2/Hz) - 20*log10(PSS differential peak voltage) + 3dB

Rather than simply use the average power, an extra 0.5 factor should be added. I do not have any idea about it.

Did anybody experienced the similar problem?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.