The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
basic doubt (Read 2866 times)
sivacha

India
basic doubt
Dec 14th, 2006, 6:26am

In  RF design, we consider the load as port( dc source) and the port resistance as the load.
I dont understand why can't we consider direct resistance instead of using port??

Thank You,
Siva.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: basic doubt
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2006, 8:02am

You can, but if the source voltage is zero, they are equivalent. The port is only needed if you want to measure the s-parameters. It is used when computing s12 and s22.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2006, 5:27pm

I'm not 100% sure but I think the output port resistance is de-embedded from the noise figure...anyone know for sure? i.e. if you use a 50 ohm resistor in simulation you will get different results than if you use a port...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2006, 11:17pm

If you tell the noise analysis that the resistor is the load as you would with the port, then the results are identical.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.