The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 4:10am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Would you pls. explain this eye diagram? (Read 7583 times)
dandelion
Community Member

Would you pls. explain this eye diagram?
Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:50pm

Hi,
We designed a optical receiver IC which outputs the CMOS level. In the eye diagram mesurements, I found the eye diagram is different with the design(simulation).Pls. see the attached eye diagram, I found the rise edge become distorted, it skewed from about the midpoint. In the design, the rise edge is good and almost symetric with the falling edge. Would anyone pls. explain what happened to thsi eye diagram?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Would you pls. explain this eye diagram?
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2006, 5:33am

Too much capacitance at your meaurement point, I think this gives you the slow rising edges. If in the design simulation you include loading parasitic capacitances due to bondpads, ESD, package, PCB and scope probe (maybe 10pF) and you'll see the what you see on the bench.
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
dandelion
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2007, 1:04am

ACWWong wrote on Dec 23rd, 2006, 5:33am:
Too much capacitance at your meaurement point, I think this gives you the slow rising edges. If in the design simulation you include loading parasitic capacitances due to bondpads, ESD, package, PCB and scope probe (maybe 10pF) and you'll see the what you see on the bench.
cheers
aw

Hi, aw,
Thanks for the reply.Would you pls. confirm the possible additional 10pF cap, is it just the scope probe or you mean all the bondpads, ESD, package, PCB and scope probe combined?

In the test, I added a ~10 Ohm resistor seriesed connected with the output pin, the eye-diagram is OK again.Would you help to explain it?

Thanks a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2007, 2:13am

Ocsilloscope scope probes x1 are normally 10pF. ESD, pads, PCB are dependant on your design but typically around 1pF.

dandelion wrote on Jan 4th, 2007, 1:04am:
In the test, I added a ~10 Ohm resistor seriesed connected with the output pin, the eye-diagram is OK again.Would you help to explain it?

I would if i could, but i can't think of why adding a 10 ohms in series with say a 10pF in parallel with 1Mohm (scope load) would improve matters so much... was the 10 ohms a leaded component with LOTS of parasitic inductance ?

View Profile   IP Logged
dandelion
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2007, 1:19am

ACWWong wrote on Jan 4th, 2007, 2:13am:
Ocsilloscope scope probes x1 are normally 10pF. ESD, pads, PCB are dependant on your design but typically around 1pF.

dandelion wrote on Jan 4th, 2007, 1:04am:

I would if i could, but i can't think of why adding a 10 ohms in series with say a 10pF in parallel with 1Mohm (scope load) would improve matters so much... was the 10 ohms a leaded component with LOTS of parasitic inductance ?

Hi,AW,
Thanks for the reply. It is helpful to me.

The 10 ohm is not a leaded component. But, when we introduce a lead component like(in fact, the measurement condition is changed slightly), the eye-diagram is also OK without the 10 ohm.

As for why this happened, some guies of us think the added 10 ohms resistors improves the parasitic LCR network and hence the transient reponse. The parasitic LCR network will affect the tnasient reponse with two possibilitoies, one is the overshoot and another is over damped, which above will depend on its transfer function. The added 10 ohm res make it part away from the over damp condition.

Sound reasonable.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2007, 3:00am

yes, you should be able to draw out the RLC circuit including parsitics from inside the chip (bondwire, ESD, pads, metal), and the PCB pad and PCB routing to surface mount components and finally scope probe. From this you should be able to get an idea of the transfer function loading your CMOS driver... perhaps the 10 ohms gives you a zero in the transfer-function ??

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2007, 12:19pm

A few observations based on the eye diagram you provided:

1. The 0-1 transition is different from 1-0, so you've got something non-linear here.

2. The timebase isn't clear. Is it really 4 ns/div? Then you have a 300 ps type fall time. How are you picking up the signal - SMA or probe?

4. Your scope is on 50 Ohm termination and the your waveform is rail to rail. Are you sure your CMOS driver is capable of driving 50 Ohm? Looks like you're driving your output stage into serious saturation and cut-off.

For more info about eye diagrams check out www.eecalc.com/faq.html.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.