The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
typical inductance variation of on-chip inductor (Read 4207 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

typical inductance variation of on-chip inductor
Jan 02nd, 2007, 10:54pm

Hi all,

can anyone tell me the typical inductance and Q variation of an on-chip inductor. For example a 5 turn top metal spiral inductor with a 100um core,  10 um width and 2um thickness...any good references?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: typical inductance variation of on-chip induct
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2007, 3:00am

Generally inductance varies very little as it is lateral geometry (total enclosed area & turns) based. I've used kits were worst case L variation was something like 1~2%.
What does vary is Q and SRF. Q can change by about 20%~30% but depends on your frequency of operation (skin loss versus metal R loss, parasitic C value & quality due to ~20% delta on oxide thicknesses and shield/sub impedance variation). I normally design with worst case Q in mind.
As for references.... your pdk/foundry should be the starting point..
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: typical inductance variation of on-chip induct
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2007, 5:05pm

thanks aw

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.