The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 8th, 2024, 3:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SpectreRF PLL phase noise simulation? (Read 3294 times)
Visjnoe

SpectreRF PLL phase noise simulation?
Jan 04th, 2007, 3:18am

Dear all,

is it possible to use SpectreRF to simulate the closed-loop PLL phase noise performance at transistor level?
Just assuming that simulation time is no issue, has anyone experience on this?

Is it difficult to get convergence? I know for example that EldoRF has difficulty converging when a LC-VCO and a subsequent CML + asynchronous FF-style divider are combined, so I never even tried full PLL simulation with it...

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: SpectreRF PLL phase noise simulation?
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2007, 8:54am

As long as the PLL has a periodic solution (no deadzone in the PFD) it should work fine. I have seen that harmonic balance based simulators tend to have an inordinate amount of difficulty with frequency dividers, but SpectreRF does not because it uses shooting methods.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2007, 10:48am

Dear Ken,

thanks for your comment.

If I understood your comment right, you expect SpectreRF to converge as long as there's a periodic solution, which would indeed be an improvement over EldoRF.

Do you think that a reference input signal that is dithered with jitter poses problems for SpectreRF? The goal would be to verify the input CLK jitter attenuation using such a set-up.

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2007, 11:53am

Jitter would definitely be a problem if you were trying to use the PSS analysis, because the solution would not be periodic. Envelope following might work. Or you could explore the jitter attenuation by using PAC while phase modulating the input source (you could use the PM modulator in http://www.designers-guide.org/VerilogAMS/functional-blocks/modulators/modulator... while driving the modulation input with a small-signal source (a DC voltage source with pacmag=1)).

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.