The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 17th, 2024, 2:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hogge phase detector (Read 7305 times)
Visjnoe

Hogge phase detector
Jan 05th, 2007, 2:07am

Dear all,

I have some questions on the Hogge phase detector:

1. Is the requirement on the concurrent on-time of the UP/DOWN signals comparable to that of a standard three-state PFD (impact on reference spur, CP noise etc.)? I think the same ideas apply, independent of the type of PFD (strictly speaking of course, the Hogge phase detector is a PD and not a PFD)

2. Given the constraint the input frequency is very close to the VCO frequency (few ppm) can the Hogge PD be used in a PLL that in one mode has to generate a CLK signal from data (recover clock from data) and in another mode clean up an external CLK signal?
Thus, the input to the PLL can be data or a CLK signal (same frequency): can Hogge serve both purposes (given the constraint of small frequency offset) or do we need to implement to PFD's: one, classical three-state and one Hogge?

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: Hogge phase detector
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2007, 1:21pm

AFAIK, the Hogge's main advantages are linear phase characteristic and insensitivity to transition density. In contrast the Alexander is non-linear. The original Hogge circuit was eventually improved upon so that phase centering w.r.t the data was maintained without pattern dependence as well.

BTW, an interesting paper I came across on the web was:
http://www.ssc.pe.titech.ac.jp/publications/2006/20060526_philipus_ppt.pdf

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2007, 11:58pm

Dear,

thanks for the paper by Matsuzawa.

Do you know if the dead-zone of the Hogge PD is an issue for CDR/PLL design (if it has a dead-zone at all)?
Besides this, I would think that convential PFD/CP design is much alike Hogge PD/CP design, right?

Kind Regards

Peter

ps: I only have experience with the three-state PFD

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2007, 12:06pm

Ah, now you've got me extending myself into deeper waters. I suspect the phase characteristic will affect the PLL capture, especially with noisy input. A PLL is a fairly benign beast under lock, but the process of capture can be bizarre because of non-linear effects. A little state machine is usually adequate to assist the process.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.