The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 11:06pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recognizing verilog-ams view in spectre (Read 4484 times)
Saran

Getting wiser by the
second

Recognizing verilog-ams view in spectre
Jan 11th, 2007, 10:26am

I have a strange problem while simulating schematics consisting of verilog-ams models. I have created some simple Verilog-AMS models by choosing new cell view (verilog-ams - hdl editor). I put together a schematic in the composer schematic editor consisting of the verilog-ams modules or models. When I try to simulate this circuit in analog environement under spectre, it throws me an error saying that it is unable to descend in the ams view. creating a configuration in the hierarchy editor does not do any good. However, when I define the same models as verilog-a instead of verilog-ams when I create them using new cell view, the circuit simulates fine. Can somebody clarify what is happening?

maybe, I am doing something bizzare or is there a problem within cadence? Not that this affects me much because the circuits I am working with right now are pure analog. However, this is not seem right for me to ignore.

Thanks,
Saran

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Recognizing verilog-ams view in spectre
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2007, 11:43am

Saran wrote on Jan 11th, 2007, 10:26am:
When I try to simulate this circuit in analog environement under spectre, it throws me an error saying that it is unable to descend in the ams view.

Spectre is an analog simulator, not a mixed-signal, so it can't do ams; probably, the "stop views" are set to prevent you from netlisting something that won't run.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Saran

Getting wiser by the
second

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2007, 11:58am

Oh da!!! That makes sense. Should have thought about that.

I had a small doubt. Syntactically, are verilog-AMS and verilog-a not the same? Except from verilog-ams sort of being the superset of verilog-a, is there any notable differences? For instance, if I build my analog models in verilog-a, and later I want to add mixed signal interfaces, how hard would it to be take the existing code and append it?

Thanks for the reply, Geoffrey.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2007, 5:50am

You should be fine appending MS things to a Verilog-A module (with maybe a small caveat that your AMS simulator should be from the same company as the analog-only simulator, for maximum compatibility).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2007, 8:32pm

Geoffrey didn't answer your Question..
Verilog-AMS is a super set of Verilog-A, Verilog and the mixed signal code.. .
or to put it the way the language is specified, Verilog-A is the ANALOG ONLY subset of verilog-AMS..
Basically in Verilog-AMS you can do everything you did in Verilog (this is the stuff spectre doesn't do)
+ everything you do in Spectre..

In verilog-A you can declare an electrical or wire node, but not a reg..
All the behavior has to happen in the "analog" block..
in Verilog-AMS you are allowed "reg" "wreal" and can put your behavior
in Assign statements, initial blocks, always blocks and declare tasks..
as WELL as have interaction between the electrical and regs, and regs and electricals
and an "analog" block..

jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.