The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 10th, 2024, 11:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
noise model of ota (Read 1341 times)
parthsv

noise model of ota
Jan 14th, 2007, 8:47am

Hi All,
I am building a pipeline ADC and in order to verify certain aspects of the ADC i have built a verilogA model of the ADC. I need to incorporate thermal noise of the opamp/comparator of each stage of pipeline and I am new to noise modelling in verilogA. Can anyone here please give me directions on how to proceed in verilogA?
 Thanks in Advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: noise model of ota
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2007, 5:19am

Are you planning to run a noise/pnoise simulation (in which case you can use white_noise()), or do you need to implement something that will work in a transient analysis?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
parthsv

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2007, 9:46pm

Hi,
Thanks for your respone. I need to include thermal noise in transient analysis.

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2007, 12:45am

Dear parthsv,

To include thermal (white noise) into your transient simulation, you have several options:

1. If you have access to ELDO, you can include noise sources (ELDO primitives) into your schematics.
   They will inject noise during transient analysis.

2. Otherwise, generate a random number stream (using MATLAB or an AHDL) and include this into your
   simulation. Make sure that you control the noise power well in this case by using a fixed time step!
   If you want  'shaped'  (e.g. 1/f) noise, pass the random number stream through a digital filter.

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
parthsv

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2007, 5:30am

Hi Visjnoe,
 I already have actual noise numbers(rms voltage/power) per stage from the circuit simulation. Is there a way to include these numbers in the simulation setup?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2007, 6:24am

parthsv wrote on Jan 16th, 2007, 5:30am:
Hi Visjnoe,
 I already have actual noise numbers(rms voltage/power) per stage from the circuit simulation. Is there a way to include these numbers in the simulation setup?

The rms voltage should be used to set the scaling for the random number generator, but since you're doing transient, you still need to generate the random numbers!

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2007, 3:09am

Note that if you include noise using the usual verilog-a noise functions, then that noise will be included in a spectre transient noise simulation. Of course, you'll get the noise from all the devices in the circuit too - so if you only want to include the noise from this model, then you'd have to use the random number generator approach that others have suggested in this thread.

Regards,

Andrew.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.