The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 2:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SSB/DSB, it is a problem (Read 3197 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

SSB/DSB, it is a problem
Jan 25th, 2007, 7:35am

I'm a little get confused by definition of SSB phase noise and DSB phase noise.

In ELDO definition, SSB is 3dB lower than DSB phase noise. It means SSB only contains one-sided power.

In Ken's paper on oscillator, SSB is 3dB higher. It means SSB contains both sides of power.

Which one is right?

What is obtained from Agilent E5052A? Is it SSB or DSB? Its total power need integration from -oo ~ + oo, or it only requires integral from 0~+oo?

Also, what is the SSB noise obtained from spectraRF? Is it the same as Ken's definition or agree with ELdos?

Thanks,
Neoflash

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: SSB/DSB, it is a problem
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2007, 5:18am

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but in the context of noise figures for receivers, I have noticed in the past that Agilent (in measurement application notes) that SSB NF is 3dB lower than DSB NF, with the my interpretation as if one only includes SSB NOISE, then take DSB NOISE, then the DSB noise will be 3 dB higher (if symetrical).

In Cadence tools like spectreRF (and Razavi's "RF microelectronics"), they describe from the point of viewpoint of a signal. If a signal exists in both sidebands of an oscillator used in RF downconversion (e.g.  ZIF), then this is considered DSB as the signal exists on both sidebands... so the resultant noise figure is 3 dB lower than the SSB signal case. In the SSB signal case, there is no signal at the image, but the noise does exist, so when down converted it ends up increasing the receiver NF by 3dB.

So there seemed to be a different definition for SSB and DSB NF between Agilent and Cadence tools... so probably best thing to do is find out what ELDO is doing and read you aglient apps notes, and be clear to yourself what each tool is doing and what figure of merit is relevant to you...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.