The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 4:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
jitter simulation with Virtuoso SpectreRF v.5.1.41 (Read 3268 times)
LucaV

Pavia, Italy
jitter simulation with Virtuoso SpectreRF v.5.1.41
Jan 26th, 2007, 2:54am

Hi I'm tring to calculate the jitter introduced by an ideal VCO driven by a noisy resistor (thermal noise).

from literature and theory I expect Phase noise:

2*k*t*R*Kf^2                           |   where :     k -> bolthzman's
  L(f)=----------------------                       |                   t -> temperature [kelvin]
                    f^2                                   |                   R -> resistance
                                                                                Kf -> gain of the VCO

from this equation I get a result that match exactly with Cadence simulation done with Virtuoso SpectreRF v.5.1.41.

Virtuoso SpectreRF v.5.1.41 gave a new function in the pnoise tool: jitter noise type.

from the Ken Kundert's "Predicting the PN and J pf PLL frequency Synthesizers" and other papers in literature I expect a jitter:

____________        _______________
       |           f^2            |    2*k*t*Kf^2
J=   | L(f)* --------   =    |  ------------------
     \|            f0^3        \|        f0^2

My problem is that jitter prediction based on this theory doesn't macth with cadence result (completely wrong order of magnitude)
and I don't know why!!

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Re: jitter simulation with Virtuoso SpectreRF v.5.
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2007, 11:00pm

The equation on jitter, given there, is not rms jitter. It is spurious jitter i guess.

For calculating RMS jitter, you need to refer to Ken's document which is available on this forum.

View Profile   IP Logged
LucaV

Pavia, Italy
Re: jitter simulation with Virtuoso SpectreRF v.5.
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2007, 7:15am

the jitter's equation that I have used has benn taken from Ken's "predicting the phase noise and jitter of PLL-based frequency synthesizer" pgg.33, equation(80).

I don't understand how I can get the rms value: i belive (waching how the equation are obteined) that this expression is already rms.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.