The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 1:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cadence corner analysis using OCEAN (Read 7530 times)
Visjnoe

Cadence corner analysis using OCEAN
Jan 31st, 2007, 9:18am

Hello,

I recently had to convert to Cadence, so I'm getting acquainted to the flow...

I've been able to use a simple OCEAN script to automate a transient simulation under typical conditions.

I know there should be a corner analysis option when using the GUI mode of operation, but I would like to know
if you can run corners using OCEAN when you have this extra license....

So, I'm not talking about writing a small script and adapting the models to generate the corners, I'm talking about some integrated commands/functions that take a simple netlist (typical), run the corners (based on your model definitions) and put all of your 'measurement' results in e.g. a table.

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
makelo
Community Member

Hillsboro, OR
Re: Cadence corner analysis using OCEAN
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2007, 7:13pm

When I had to convert from ADS to Cadence, I did not really feel comfortable until I got OCEAN working.  I guess that after four years of designing in ADS, I grew used to looking at DC , AC  and Transient results simultaneously to make design decisions.  I don't like the formailty of a full test bench, but I do like to get a complete picture of what is going on with a circuit between each simulation run.  OCEAN allows me to do this.

The Cadence WhitePaper, "Functional Verification of a Differential Operational Amplifier" http://www.cadence.com/whitepapers/FVofDiffOpAmp_wp.pdf
has some examples of corner analysis.

I went through these examples and got many of them working to learn the basics of OCEAN.  I never implemented the complete report with corners as I couldn't get the AFVtestInit function to work right, but the AFVsetPlot function is handy.

-Makelo

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2007, 2:10am

As that was my paper , I'll give a quick update on the status..

I've extended the data extraction functions, and use the Plotting routines ALL THE time.. but that results database is poor..
no one makes what I really want, so I live with the text reports (often from SEVERAL simulations in series with different conditions.. ) and the family of plots from the simulation for the simulation reviews.

I tried to us Aptivia/ VSDE but got stuck when I needed an AGC setting (design variable) to depend on the input amplitude, corner and temperature..  and dropped back to OCEAN since..

and I DON'T have the corners tool back yet.. because while it will PLOT the results with some limit conditions.. it (didn't back then) REPORT pasess and fails from the corner sims..

So the results database is still custom for each project ..
Now Cadence says their NEW ADE (in IC(OA) 6.1 has all the best of Aptivia and Neocircuit reworked into a single tool..
and much of that was recently released on CDB as IC 5144..
but as I haven't had time to try that, yet, I can't tell you if you should spend any time on it .
jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
alicia8283

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2007, 11:42pm

hi,

Anyone could tell me is it anyway i can get those scripts and test schematic in the white paper "Functional Verification of a Differential Operational Amplifier" ??
thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.