The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 17th, 2024, 4:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
size of quantization levels (Read 4128 times)
Croaker

size of quantization levels
Feb 05th, 2007, 12:23pm

Is there any standard for determining the LSB size?  The two definitions I see are:

Vfs/2^N

or

Vfs/(2^N-1)

Is any one better than the other?

View Profile   IP Logged
Vabzter

Sweden
Re: size of quantization levels
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2007, 3:17am

Hi,
    I was going through this paper which highlights major parameters of DAC..Hope this answes your question

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1658/NextMeetingArchive/061030DAPONTE/imeko_IWADC...

BR
Vabzter

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2007, 6:32pm

I prefer Vfs/2^N for ADC. Smiley

I read that paper. What's the definitioin of 1's complement? Why are they named 2's complement and 1's complement respectively?

Thanks
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2007, 10:32am

You can find discussions on 1s and 2s complement in any digital electronics book.  They are used for representing negative numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two's_complement

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2007, 10:34am

Vabzter wrote on Feb 27th, 2007, 3:17am:
Hi,
    I was going through this paper which highlights major parameters of DAC..Hope this answes your question

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1658/NextMeetingArchive/061030DAPONTE/imeko_IWADC...

BR
Vabzter

Not really.  They are using Vref/2^N.  The difference between the two standards that I see are Vref/2^N means your full-scale output is one LSB less than Vref and Vref/(2^N - 1) allows the full-scale output to be equal to Vref.  Also, the LSB sizes are slightly different.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2007, 6:27pm

Hi, Croaker,

Let's discuss it with an N-bit flash ADC. It needs 2^N comparators and references. Normally the references are generated using a resistor ladder, which is tied between the positive reference (ref+) and the negative reference (ref-). If the resitive ladder is composed of 2^N resistors of equal resistance, the most negative reference tied to one of the comparators is Vref-. The most positive reference tied to one of the comparators is (Vref+-Vref-)×(1-1/2^N)+Vref-. Then one LSB is equal to (Vref+-Vref-)×(1/2^N). However, if the resistive ladder is composed of (2^N-1) resistors of equal resistance, the most positive reference tied to one of the comparators is Vref+. The one LSB is equal to (Vref+-Vref-)÷(2^N-1). I think it depends on your choice.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.