The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 9:37pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Overlap Capacitance (Read 1115 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Overlap Capacitance
Feb 06th, 2007, 10:53pm

Hi all,

i'm trying to calculate the gate drain capacitance in the subthreshold region for a nmos. I'm using the BSIM3.2 model, and i figured for a good approximation I only need the Gate Drain overlap capacitance. This was mentioned in the book by T.H. Lee. Is this correct?

Ok part 2. In the manual it says Cij=dQi/dVj. i.e. Cgd=dQd/dVg and Cgd is reciprocal. However, the equation given is Qd versus Vgd. Can I say Cgd=dQd/dVgd?

OK assuming I do the differentiation, I get an equation in terms of Vgd. So should I then sub in the DC value?

thanks for the help,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Overlap Capacitance
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2007, 7:04am

aaron_do wrote on Feb 6th, 2007, 10:53pm:
i'm trying to calculate the gate drain capacitance in the subthreshold region for a nmos. I'm using the BSIM3.2 model, and i figured for a good approximation I only need the Gate Drain overlap capacitance. This was mentioned in the book by T.H. Lee. Is this correct?

In subthreshold, Qd for the channel should be zero, so yes, that's a good approximation.

Quote:
Ok part 2. In the manual it says Cij=dQi/dVj. i.e. Cgd=dQd/dVg and Cgd is reciprocal. However, the equation given is Qd versus Vgd. Can I say Cgd=dQd/dVgd?

You mixed up your formula; Cgd = dQg/dVd.  Cgd for the channel is not reciprocal.  Is Cgdov only a function of Vgd?  Is the equation for Qd for the channel charge or only the overlap charge?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2007, 5:54pm

thanks for your reply.

I rechecked the BSIM3.2 manual, and it definately says Cgd is reciprocal. In the manual, Cgs is a function of Wactive (approximately the width), CGD0, CGD1, CKAPPA and another constant (equal to .02). I think CGD0 and CGD1 are dependant on the overlap length and Cox.

By the way, why wouldn't a capacitance be reciprocal? Is it not based on a physical model? I'm totally new to modeling and completely confused, so thanks for any help,

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2007, 7:57pm

Quote:
I rechecked the BSIM3.2 manual, and it definately says Cgd is reciprocal

TRUE only at Vds=0 or Vd=Vs.

Also,

Cgd,ov = dQg,ov/dVd, should not be dVgd.

But, I'm not sure whether there is anyway to calculate Qg,ov(overlap Qg) in BSIM ?

View Profile gilbertsee   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2007, 9:12pm

I see. thanks. I think i need to just pick up a good book...My knowledge on this topic is too basic.

thanks Anyway.
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2007, 11:18am

aaron_do wrote on Feb 7th, 2007, 5:54pm:
By the way, why wouldn't a capacitance be reciprocal? Is it not based on a physical model? I'm totally new to modeling and completely confused, so thanks for any help,

For a MOS, there are 4 terminals, and you get non-reciprocality from idealizations like charge-sheet approximation and the partitioning of the channel charge.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.