The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 9:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise analysis on windowed correlator (Read 3796 times)
tjaf

Belgium
Noise analysis on windowed correlator
Feb 07th, 2007, 8:40am

Hi all,

Let me first briefly try to describe the circuit I am trying to simulate.

The mixer is a downconverting mixer which has a windowing function (controlled with W). The output of the mixer is a current which gets integrated on the capacitor. When the window is closed (W=0), the value is retained. Right before the window is opened again, the capacitor is reset. The figure below shows an example transient simulation when RF and LO are two in-phase sinewaves.

I am trying to do a noise analysis on this thing. Any pointers as to which simulation/testbench I should use (SpectreRF)? I don't think PSS/PNOISE will work in this case?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Noise analysis on windowed correlator
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2007, 10:37am

I think pss/pnoise should be ok, depending on what you want to measure.
From looking at your transient, a periodic steady state at the output is visable (30ns period), so if freq of rf and lo are also harminically related then pss should converge and pnoise will give you the noise over the cycle (in your case with time average with W=1 for 1/5 of the cycle and W=0 for the other 4/5 of the cycle).
You could of course try independent simulations with W=0 or W=1 to see the noise in each state ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2007, 12:00am

You would need to use PSS & PNoise as the circuit clearly has a periodically varying operating point. However, that is as much as can be said until you tell us about the next stage. Presumably it is a sampling stage, which would imply to need a strobed noise analysis.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
tjaf

Belgium
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2007, 12:45am

Thanks for the reply's. I will try the PSS/PNOISE. I assume that for the PSS, I should set both the RF (small signal) and LO (large signal) port to dc sources, so that the only periodic input signal is W?

The next stage is indeed a sampling stage (not designed yet), somewhere after the window closes and before the capacitor is reset. I didn't know about the strobed noise analysis. I'll look it up.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2007, 3:37am

tjaf wrote on Feb 8th, 2007, 12:45am:
Thanks for the reply's. I will try the PSS/PNOISE. I assume that for the PSS, I should set both the RF (small signal) and LO (large signal) port to dc sources, so that the only periodic input signal is W?

no i think you'll need a large signal LO to capture the frequency translating effects of the mixer. RF as a dc source is ok. It'll still be a fairly quick simulation if you make LO freq and W freq harmonically related....

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.