The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 3:02pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Maximizing PSS simulation accuracy in presence ... (Read 14305 times)
schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Maximizing PSS simulation accuracy in presence ...
Feb 08th, 2007, 3:17pm

How can we maximize the accuracy of a PSS simulation when signals with vastly different amplitudes are present? For example, think of a very linear circuit for which you want to simulate an intermodulation tone. Now if the difference between the main tones and the intermodulatin tone at the output is larger than 100dB will we have a simulation accuracy issue?

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Maximizing PSS simulation accuracy in presence
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2007, 2:47am

Using pss option "high order" should drop numerical noise floor enough to do your 100dBc measurement.
It invokes Multi-Inverval-Chebyshev analysis after pss has nominally converged, to improve noise floor. According spectre -h pss it perports to improve it to noise floor to -150 dB using "conservative", but i was told before by a Cadence guy that 200dBc distortion should be achieveable... unfortunately my circuits are never that linear so i haven;t needed to test it  ;)

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2007, 3:28pm

Personally, I'd try the harmonic balance option.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2007, 10:29am

In fact, I did try flexible balance for measuring IIP2 of a current commutating active mixer. The resulting graph does not make sense! I have attached the graphs I got. The upper left corner graph is using shooting method (which is good) and the rest are harmonic balance but with different number of harmonics.
For some other type of mixer, both methods fail and IM1/IM2 vs input power graph looks like harmonic balance ones in the attached figure.

I have had this problem with IIP2 simulation for a long time and nobody has been able to help. Shooting method works sometimes, I have not been able to make flexible balance work. I can't figure out what the trick is since everything makes sense to me the way I run the simulation. Interestingly, with the same simulation, IM3 vs input is linear and looks very good!

I would be grateful if you can advise.

FlexibleBalancevsShootingIIP2.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2007, 3:01pm

Generally when you get this behavior of it is because of one of two things:
1. The Fourier analysis is not very accurate and has a noise floor that is corrupting the results.
The strategy in this case is to try to make the Fourier results more accurate by tightening tolerances, shrinking the timestep, etc. This is not needed with harmonic balance. There should be no noise floor with harmonic balance. This should only be an issue with normal transient analysis or shooting methods.
2. The circuit is discontinuous.
The expectation that doubling the input power should result in a factor of four increase in the level of the second-order distortion product is based on the assumption that the second-order distortion product is caused by smooth second-order nonlinearity. If instead the distortion is cause by a discontinuity, its level could be constant with input power level or it could go up slower than expected.
A discontinuity presumably would come from the models being used. I've seen this more with MOS passive mixers because the FETs are biased in an unusual way that exposes some problems with the model. I would not expect to see this with a traditional active mixer.

Either way, you might want to work with Cadence to resolve this issue.

-Ken

schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2007, 2:15pm

Thank you I will contact Cadence. However, this is another observation of mine. Imagine the same current commutating active mixer with three large signal tones, LO=1GHz, RF1=1.1GHz and RF2=1.16GHz. After downconversion, I expect to see IF1=100MHz, IF2=160MHz, IM2=60MHz, IM3_1=40MHz and IM3_2=220MHz and probably a lot of spurious tones which are very small compared to these main tones (except maybe for IM2).  This is exactly what shooting method gives (Right hand side of the firgure below).

When I change the PSS method to flexible balance, I get some resutls which don't make sense. I see a lot of spurious tones at integer multiples of the beat frequency (20MHz) which are relatively large. The next largest tone after the fundamentals is only 32dB lower than the IF1 and it is at 80MHz! (Left hand side of the firgure below). Besides that, magnitude of the desired downconverted tones and the upper IM3 tone match in both shooting and flexible balance methods however, that of the lower IM3 tone and IM2 tones don't match!

I should say that I am using 200 harmonics in both simulations.

What is wrong here? I expected to get similar results with both methods.

Thank you in advance

untitled.png
View Profile   IP Logged
byang
Community Member

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2007, 3:15pm

Hi, Schehrazi,

Just curious: did you set  highorder=yes  in the shooting method?

Thanks,

byang

View Profile   IP Logged
schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2007, 3:24pm

No, I did not select highorder in shooting method. The results look to be good and valid and the noise floor is low enough even without highorder option.

View Profile   IP Logged
byang
Community Member

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2007, 9:07pm

If tightening tolerance or setting highorder=yes all lead to the same shooting result, that would give you more confidence that the shooting result is correct.

What could have caused the problem in the flexible balance result? One possibility is that your time-domain waveform has sharp transitions. Harmonic Balance could have accuracy problem with sharp transitions.

byang

View Profile   IP Logged
schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2007, 9:40pm

My stimuli are sinusoid.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2007, 4:15am

Can you try using QPSS with flexible balance? Really if you have a multitone circuit and are using HB, you should use QPSS and specify the harmonics you need for each tone, rather than lumping them all together and doing a PSS. That makes sense with shooting, but less so with HB.

Andrew.

schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2007, 11:02am

Results of shooting and flexible balance with QPSS match well.

Does HB simulation have a fundamental limit when there are multiple inputs? or the accuracy can be improved some way?

View Profile   IP Logged
schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2007, 1:46pm

I contacted Cadence. Apparently this is a bug in my release of Cadence (sub-version  6.1.0.270
) which is fixed in the latest ISR of MMSIM 6.1 release. I am going to install the latest ISR now !

View Profile   IP Logged
Bill Toole

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2007, 5:48am

schehrazi wrote on Mar 16th, 2007, 11:02am:
Results of shooting and flexible balance with QPSS match well.

Does HB simulation have a fundamental limit when there are multiple inputs? or the accuracy can be improved some way?

I don't believe Cadence HB has a limit to the number of input but the more inputs you have, the more memory you will require to handle all the mixing products etc. If you have a large circuit you could quickly run out of memory with a large number of input tones. I generally have not had to use more than three inputs

The accuracy of the HB simulation depends on a number of factors
1. The order of harmonics of your input tones - the more the better but the slower the sim
     - if you have squarish looking signal (say on an LO port of a mixer) you will need more harmonics to get good accuarcy
2. The order of the intermod products - again the more the better but the slower the sim
     - cadence default is to calculate all intermods but you can select diamond rule and limit the number of intermods
3. Oversampling ratio can affect accuracy some as well - usually an OSR of 2 or 4 will suffice but will slow down the sim compared to 1

Unfortunately there is no golden rule about what order to use for your harmonics and intermod. It highly depends on your circuit, signals, and which tone you are interested in. (ie if you are only interested in the fundamental output you probably don't need that much accuracy but if you are interested in the intermods (IP2or3) then you need higher accuarcy.)

View Profile   IP Logged
schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2007, 11:49am

Just to give you an update on this, the problem exists with the newest ISR, in fact this is what I got from Cadence today!

"
I used the previous ISR of MMSIM 6.1 release (i.e., sub-version
6.1.1.332) to get the correct
results.

You are right in that the issue occurs in the latest ISR of MMSIM 6.1
(sub-version  6.1.1.340).
"

This should be some old wrong code which was fixed in some ISR but was reused by mistake in the latest one!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.