The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AM-to-PM conversion (Read 490 times)
rfmems

AM-to-PM conversion
Feb 16th, 2007, 3:25pm

Amplitude noise to phase noise conversion carried out by the varactor in VCO is one of the phase noise sources. What I can not understand is:
the am noise modulating the varactor has to be low frequency to be converted to PM around the carrier, however the low frequncy am noise is attenuated by the LC tank and thus should be small, while the am noise at frequency around the carrier can only be converted to pn noise far away from the carrier. Then there should be very tiny amount of am noise converted to PM around the carrier, which is opposite to my simulation and experience.
What I have misunderstood? Please help me out.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: AM-to-PM conversion
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2007, 8:45pm

The varactor has only one terminal connected to the tank, the other terminal is connected to the control voltage input. Any noise present on the control input will modulate the capacitance of the varactor and thus modulate the frequency (or phase) of the VCO which shows up as PM noise around the carrier.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.