The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 1:04pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Big D, small A (Read 2094 times)
rajdeep

UK
Big D, small A
Feb 21st, 2007, 7:01am

Hi all,

This question is possibly not suitable for this forum, but I could not find any other appropriate forum.
Can anybody tell me about a predominantly digital circuit, where analog module is used in between to do some signal processing and again pass it to a digital cicruit?
I'm mainly interested to know how presence of an analog circuit in the path of a digital signal can affect the timing analysis of the total digital path. May be some high speed processors use this kind of technique!! But don't know about any such design technique where a digital signal is passed to an analog module and then passed it to another
digital module i.e an analog block(small) sitting in a digital path.

Please suggest any other kind of circuit that is close to what I'm asking, if such a circuit does not exist  :-/

Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Big D, small A
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2007, 9:06am

That would be true if two large digital chips wanted to communicate at very high speeds. They would use a SerDes, which is partially analog. Examples of this abound in computers these days as wide busses are being converted to smaller sets of high-speed serial links. For more on this see www.designers-guide.org/Perspective/serial-comms.pdf.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.