The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 12:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA and Mixer Gain (Read 3098 times)
sandman
Community Member

LNA and Mixer Gain
Feb 20th, 2007, 11:10am

Hi,

Would anyone be aware of the simplest method to estimate the gain of a front end comprising of an LNA and a Mixer in Cadence-SpectreRF ? As of now I'm using PSS and PXF (to allow for the frequency translation from the mixer) to estimate combined gain. The results are quite different from what I'd expected. So, any inputs would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: LNA and Mixer Gain
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2007, 10:05pm

Are you asking for a simple method to estimate the gain in Simulation or make an estimate based on knowledge of the LNA and mixer.

If you're talking about by simulation then you're using the right method.

Otherwise its just the gain of the LNA in dB plus the gain of the mixer in dB. You have to take the loading into account too. If your mixer uses large device size it may be lowering the voltage gain of your LNA. Maybe you can use the XF (transfer function) simulation of the LNA+Mixer taking the output at the LNA output node to troubleshoot.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2007, 1:17am

This is the simulation I'm concerned about. Thanks for your inputs.

I tried the XF for the LNA and find that it gives me a different result for voltage gain than the PSS simulation. I don't understand how these simulations work, so is there a reason why they are different ?

I wanted to confirm if the PSS+PXF for LNA+Mixer gives the Voltage gain and not the power gain.

Cheers.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2007, 9:15am

It is hard to help you because you have given no specifics. For example, how did you set up the PXF and how do the results differ.

PXF and PSS naturally produce different results. PXF produces the gain and PSS calculates a voltage level. So you have to divide the PSS output voltage and input voltage to compare them. Furthermore, if your stimulus is being provided by a port, PXF is computing the gain assuming a perfect match at the input. In other words, it is computing the gain from the voltage source that is internal to the port, and dividing it by two.

If you are using a port as stimulus, you might want to use PAC rather than PXF. This way Spectre will compute both the input voltage and the output voltage, just like in PSS, and you can find the gain by dividing them.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.