The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jun 30th, 2024, 2:05pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PLL Motor Control Design Question (Read 5375 times)
elec_eng

PLL Motor Control Design Question
Mar 16th, 2007, 6:52am

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I need to use the Phase Locked Loop (PLL) technique to control the speed of a DC Motor. I have to use the LM565 chip. The data sheet can be found at http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM565.pdf . I have attached the circuit confguration i plan to use below.

I will be using the 741 op-amp for the Low Pass Filter.

Is this configuration suitable?

If not, what changes would need to be made.

Any ideas or advice would be really useful.

Thank you for your time.

PLL_Circuit_Configuration.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Re: PLL Motor Control Design Question
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2007, 9:19am

Why are you driving the motor with a VCO? In motor analogies of PLLs, I believe the motor REPLACES the VCO. Also, the way you've configured your system, I think you need to detect shaft angle, not motor speed.

However, if you swap the positions of your VCO and motor, I suppose you could drive the VCO with a signal proportional to the speed of the rotor. The VCO would serve as a gain element.

-Jess

View Profile   IP Logged
HFG

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2007, 1:55pm

jess is correct, the output of the loop controller (aka loop filter) will drive the motor. If you are using something such as a ac syncro motor then you would use the VCO to generate the motor drive signal.

View Profile   IP Logged
elec_eng

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2007, 10:15am

Jess Chen wrote on Mar 16th, 2007, 9:19am:
Why are you driving the motor with a VCO? In motor analogies of PLLs, I believe the motor REPLACES the VCO. Also, the way you've configured your system, I think you need to detect shaft angle, not motor speed.

However, if you swap the positions of your VCO and motor, I suppose you could drive the VCO with a signal proportional to the speed of the rotor. The VCO would serve as a gain element.

-Jess

Thanks, i'll give that a go and see whats happens. Cool

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.