The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 11:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A question about gm-c filter tuning (Read 3407 times)
smellyegg

Beijing, P.R. China
A question about gm-c filter tuning
Mar 16th, 2007, 1:50am

Good afternoon.  :)I am now working on a gm-c filter, whose cutoff frequency is 3.75MHz and the attenuation at 4.25MHz is about -40dB. When designing the automatic tuning circuit, I met a problem. A friend tells me that for the variations caused by process, voltage and temperature, capacitors in the circuit vary greatly while gm varies little, but he is not too sure about it. So my question is, is it necessary to consider the variations of gm when designing the automatic tuning? can I just tune the variations of capacitors while ignoring the variations of gm?

Thanks!

Victor Chu
View Profile smellyegg   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: A question about gm-c filter tuning
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2007, 5:42am

It is envitable that there will be some gm shift with process, voltage and temeprature irrespective of how you generate it (although some circuits are better than others).
For frequency tuning you must try to preserve the gm/C time constants over PVT variation, so must consider the variation in both gm & C. But often you only use either gm or C to correct/tune out the frequency error to within spec.
Also, depending on your filter specifications, you may need to tune filter pole Q/Gain, which may not be the same as any frequency tuning.
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
smellyegg

Beijing, P.R. China
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2007, 4:30am

thanks Smiley

Victor Chu
SATurn
Community Member

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2007, 6:57am

I think it highly depends on your Gm (transconductor) topology. The nominal variations on C is +/-10%, while it can be much higher for Gm value (depending on your Gm circuit).

Saturn

View Profile   IP Logged
smellyegg

Beijing, P.R. China
Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2007, 6:44pm

thanks Smiley

Victor Chu
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.