The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 18th, 2024, 12:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOS switch S/H linear settling error for ADC? (Read 1842 times)
greatqs

MOS switch S/H linear settling error for ADC?
Mar 18th, 2007, 6:38am

Suppose the CMOS switch resistor and sampling capacitor is constant and driving voltage source is ideal. And this S/H is intended for ADC.

Then the only error source for CMOS switch sample-hold circuit is linear settling (let's just forget about charge injection or feedthrough).

As long as above conditions are true, linear settling only scales the input a little bit by (1-exp(-ts/tau)) "tau=1/(Ron × Csamp)". And it will not introduce distortion or increase noise level. It only scales the signal gain a little bit.

My question is how is this linear settling error related with S/H or ADC's ENOB or Resolution. As we know ADC's ENOB is related with SNR which can be determined by FFT analysis.

But when we do the sampled voltage's FFT with linear settling error. It seems that it will not alter the result of SNR very much because no extra noise/distortion is added and it only scales the input a little bit.

I'm asking this because now I'm optimizing an cmos sampling switch for sigma-delta ADC with FFT analysis. Because I want to reduce charge injection indeced distortion. I have to reduce switch size. I want to know how small can I go for safety.

Anyone please help me!
Thank you very much.

View Profile   IP Logged
joskin_chou

China
Re: MOS switch S/H linear settling error for ADC?
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2007, 7:03pm

As you said, the linear settling error will not alter the result of SNR. In fact, it only results in a gain error for ADC if the swithes with constant resitance are used. And the distortion is caused by the non-linear resistance of switches.

View Profile joskin_chou   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.