The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reflection (Read 5819 times)
SATurn
Community Member

Reflection
Mar 18th, 2007, 6:51am

Hi,

I am currently trying to design an LVDS driver for 200-MHz applicatoins. My problem is that reflections due to the bonding inductors and also PCB makes the shape of final signal so ugly. My question is that is there any way to improve the performance of this circuit? Is it a good idea to use internal termination resistor?

Thanks in advance,
Saturn

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Reflection
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2007, 2:38am

Hi,

Have you used any termination resistor until now? Would you please describe your circuit detail so that others can give you helpful advices?

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
SATurn
Community Member

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2007, 10:26am

Hi,

What I am using is just a simple LVDS driver without any termination resistor inside the chip. Of course there is a 100-Ohm (float) termination resistor in receiver side. I have not used internal termination resistor just to keep the power consumption of LVDS driver low. What I see is some ringing (caused by series inductance of bonding pad as well as PCB).

So, my question is that is there any way to compensate the effect of these parasitic elements? Like equalization?

Thanks,
SATurn

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2007, 9:07am

Equalization is a possible route to improving your signaling as a result of losses in the channel, but I doubt it will solve your problem as this is more an issue of impedance matching.  You could use an RF approach and try to impedance match the bondwire to the external transmission line, from the driver, by use of an on-chip capacitor in a L.  I personally have never done this, but I have wanted to try.  ;D

This would help transmit cleaner signals as well as reduce/terminate returning reflections, without the use of a resistor. (note that most of these techniques are narrowband, so you would need to optimize for the most fundamental frequency of your signal patterns)  To be honest, I stated, I would like to try this out myself sometime, but for now, I see a lot of obstacles towards this approach for digital signaling.

Excellence in ESD and IO Design
www.srftechnologies.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2007, 9:01pm

1. Is the ringing present in the differential mode?

2. Try using a (small) differential resistive attenuator on the source side.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
SATurn
Community Member

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2007, 3:32am

Hi mg777,

The ringing is on differential signal.

I just didn't get your comment on adding a differential resistor on source side. Do you mean adding a differential resistor at the output of LVDS driver?

Thanks for your comments.
SATurn

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.