The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 9:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pnoise transfer function different from PSS Vgain (Read 2458 times)
Bill Toole

Pnoise transfer function different from PSS Vgain
Mar 28th, 2007, 11:13am

While simulating differential LNA I noticed that the gain reported by the Pnoise Transfer Function is significantly different than the voltage gain from a straight PSS simulation. The particulars of the circuit are Zin = 100 Ohm, Zout = 800 Ohm, Av(unloaded) =  29.4dB. The input port is set 60dBuV (1mV). I deliberately mismatch the input and output with Rs=800 Ohm and RL = 100 Ohms. The PSS sim reports a voltage gain of 10.33dB as expected but the Transfer Function from the pnoise sim is -2dB??? I cannot find in the manual how Pnoise calculates the gain. Any thoughts? Why is the pnoise gain so different than the PSS gain?

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Pnoise transfer function different from PSS Vg
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2007, 12:04am

See the section "Gain Calculations in Pnoise" in Appendix L ("Using PSP and Pnoise Analyses") of the SpectreRF User Guide (http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/files/Release_Info/Docs/spectreRF/spectreRF6....) and also Solution 11184824 (http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/db/kdb/2005/June/11184824.html). These are also the first links that come up when you search for "pnoise gain" in SourceLink.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Bill Toole

Re: Pnoise transfer function different from PSS Vg
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2007, 8:17am

Thanks for the info. That helped Basically what it said is that the voltage gain is defined as Vout/Vin but the Noise gain is Vout/Vs so you have a badly mismatched case as I did with Rs=800 and Rin =100 there is an additional attenuation of the equivalent input noise source at the input of the DUT.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.