The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 18th, 2024, 2:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AGC (Read 6644 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

AGC
Apr 09th, 2007, 6:28am

Hi all,

If i have an AGC which uses a piecewise log-linear VGA, how do i prevent the vga from going back and forth between two states? i.e. signal is higher than Vref so decrease gain => signal is lower than Vref so increase gain etc...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: AGC
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2007, 9:42am

Is it the Av versus Vcontrol that is quantized or is it the transfer characteristic Vout versus Vin that is piecewise linear? The two are different. As long as Av versus Vcontrol is monotonic it's OK.

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2007, 10:50am

aaron_do wrote on Apr 9th, 2007, 6:28am:
Hi all,

If i have an AGC which uses a piecewise log-linear VGA, how do i prevent the vga from going back and forth between two states? i.e. signal is higher than Vref so decrease gain => signal is lower than Vref so increase gain etc...

thanks,
Aaron

you use hysteresis....

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2007, 7:01pm

thanks for the replies...

so the AGC is actually switching states back and forth slowly? Any good references?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2007, 2:18am

when i say hysteresis, i mean like how any household thermostat works, you need to offset gain up and gain down decision making...

i'm not sure about references... i've always designed my own AGC strategies.

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2007, 10:12am

Quote:
so the AGC is actually switching states back and forth slowly?

Can your system tolerate a steady state error between the AGC set point & actual?

M.G.Rajan

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2007, 7:00pm

Actually i've never designed AGC before and I was just having some doubts. I'm not worried about steady-state error for the moment...I intend to implement two AGC loops. A coarse one and a fine one. Right now i'm looking at the coarse one.

What i want to do is have a peak detector and filter, then have a comparator bank to get about 6-8 control signals. They can select the gain level. So you end up with 9 gain levels (one is always set). So i'm worried that if i have say 10 dB gain differences, the output amplitude will osciallate by about 10 dB. I've read some papers but none of them seem to talk about that.

ACWWong, i'm starting to understand what you mean now by hysteresis. The idea had occured to me but i thought it would be too complex (i'm going for low power) to implement. Is there a simple way to do this?

thanks,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2007, 7:42pm

Hi ACWWong,

thanks for the tip on hysteresis. I think I figured out how to get it working...

BTW if i need linear in dB, and i want to use a comparator bank, does that mean i need to have a dB linear scale of resistors? i.e. series resistors from VDD to GND with exponentially increasing values. I guess the other way would be to have an exponential peak detector...

thanks,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2007, 1:57am

my opinion is to use exponential detector every time... i think a good google/IEEE search for limitter/RSSI designs will give you some ideas....

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2007, 11:55pm

OK...sorry i made a mistake...it should be a logarithmic detector. No wonder i couldn't find anything on exponential detectors.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2007, 3:50am

oh course i meant log as well  ;)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.