The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 7:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shunt peaking configuration (Read 460 times)
golden_falcon10

shunt peaking configuration
Apr 17th, 2007, 12:57pm

I try to design High Frequency Amplifier, I use shunt peaking configuration as shown in attachment.
How …?
1-I calculate the total capacitance at the drain of M2.
2-Can I calculate it using Dc Analysis using Cadence Spectre Calculator/tools because there is many cap like (Cgd, Cdg, Cdd…) in dc operating point how I choose between it to calculate the total capacitance at the drain of M2.  
3-the value of this capacitance take –ve value >>>>HOW???

HiFreqAmp.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: shunt peaking configuration
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2007, 4:07am

If you're manually adding up Cxy, you need to pay attention to the definition as Cxy = -dQx/dVy, see the minus sign.

Spectre (and other simulators) support a CAPTAB option that can print the total capacitance at a node, but this will give misleading numbers if there is a small drain resistor (you have to find the capacitance on the internal drain of M2).

Another method is to put a small-signal source on the drain:
i2 (0 m2_D) isource dc=0 mag=1

then measure the small-signal (ac) voltage, and compute:
Ceff = imag(1/vac(m2_D)) / (2 * pi * freq)

where "freq" is the frequency where you measured the ac voltage.

This is because I = Y V, where the admittance Y is the parallel combination of the effective conductance and capacitance:
Y = Geff + j w Ceff
I = 1 (mag=1 on source i2)
Thus, Y = 1/V, and imag(1/V) = imag(Y) = w Ceff, so
Ceff = 1/ (2 * pi * freq) * imag(1/V)

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.