The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 1st, 2024, 2:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LDO, ESR of the capacitor (Read 4349 times)
Faisal
Community Member

LDO, ESR of the capacitor
Apr 23rd, 2007, 8:21am

Hi,

I have a questions related to LDO.

ESR variation of capacitor with frequency: What value of the ESR (for the capacitor) should I consider in my simulation?  The ESR of the capacitor varies with frequency. At the moment, I take the value of ESR near resonance (from the capacitor data sheet).

Regards,
Faisal

View Profile   IP Logged
zhonghan

china
Re: LDO, ESR of the capacitor
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 8:57pm

I think temperature coefficient of ESR is more often concerned . For 1uf ceramic capacitor , typical ESR is 0.01ohm with good immunity to temperature. But for large ceramic capacitor , the variation due to temperatur become prominent.

View Profile   IP Logged
amitsh

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 9:52pm

the typical esr values usually range from 50m ohms to 10 ohms for a standard 4.7uF cap, so depending on the type cap you are using, you should choose appropriate values for esr. for simulation also the esr values make the pole freq change. so chose the value from the cap datasheet and simulate ldo, such that it shouldnt effect your stability of ldo.

View Profile   IP Logged
Faisal
Community Member

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2007, 1:27am

Please see pg 9 of this attached document. ESR vs frequency curves are specified. Now ESR varies considerably with frequency. (Note that these curves are not specified till DC but rather the minimum frequency is 10 Hz)

Which frequency shall I consider for selecting ESR value and why?

View Profile   IP Logged
Faisal
Community Member

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2007, 2:41am

I attach another data-sheet of a ceramic capacitor.

amk107bj106ma-d.gif
View Profile   IP Logged
Faisal
Community Member

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2007, 1:11am

After modeling the ESR variation vs. frequency as described in the Ken Kundert's paper "Modeling Dielectric Absorption in Capacitors", I have come to conclusion that for LDO, only the ESR value near the resonance frequency is critical.

The Resistance value at low frequencies has no influence either on stability or transient behavior, probably because of high time constants.

I would like to know about the experience of ESR with other LDO designers on this forum

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.