The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 4:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
QPSS does not work with IQ_demodulator from rlib (Read 2747 times)
Bill Toole

QPSS does not work with IQ_demodulator from rlib
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:35am

Hi

I do not understand why QPSS does not work with IQ_demodulator (or MIXER_PB) in the rflib but works in PSS. I get the error message

Error found by spectre during Quasi-Periodic Steady State Analysis `qpss'.    
Fundamental name F1 given in parameter `funds' is either not associated with any fundamental name specified in input sources, or not unique

It appears to expect an actual external source like a port or vsin for the LO instead of an internal source as in the  mixer component
Furthermore if I replace MIXER_PB with mixer and osc (also from the rflib) it works fine but the osc does not need an actual source. The code for the osc is very similar to LO portion in  IQ_demodulator (or Mixer_PB). So why does it work in one but not the other?  I would rather use IQ_demodulator for image rejection modeling purposes. Suggestions?

Bill

View Profile   IP Logged
Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Re: QPSS does not work with IQ_demodulator from rl
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2007, 4:30pm

Did you include in your schematic a separate independent signal source with frequency equal to the internal frequency of the demodulator? If so, did you give that independent source a name? Although you can specify the frequency of the internal LO, there is no way to give it a name that SpectreRF can access. Consequently, you must include in your schematic a named source with the proper frequency. It sounds like perhaps your QPSS analysis has one more frequency than your PSS analysis and that frequency is associated with the internal demodulator LO.

-Jess

View Profile   IP Logged
Bill Toole

Re: QPSS does not work with IQ_demodulator from rl
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2007, 6:33am

No I did not have an independent signal source with the frequency set to the frequency of the internal source. I had no independent signal source at all except the rf input. It worked fine for a two tone PSS sim. I had to manually add the LO tone in the PSS setup window and it worked but wouldn't for QPSS. However, I have since added an independent source with the frequency set to the frequency of the internal source and it worked fine in both PSS and QPSS. Thanks good idea.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.