The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 7:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PNOISE and kT/C noise (Read 1954 times)
Friedel

CA
PNOISE and kT/C noise
May 14th, 2007, 2:56pm

Hey guys,

I try to verify with a simple SH block the kT/C noise equation using PSS and PNoise analysis with SpectreRF.
I use a simple MOS switch and a 800fF capacitor, see attached file. (Thus I assume at room temperature 71.9uV noise.)

The switch has an on-resitance of <100Ohm.

I follow the guidelines in http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf
I adjust the maxacfreq and nr of sidebands (200) such that the error is fairly small.

In order to get the sampled noise power I use the time domain Pnoise simulation as proposed.
But dependend on the switch resistance I got different noise voltages.

Typically I obtain 44-48uV instead of 72uV!?

Where is my mistake? What I have to change in the setup.

Thanks much for you help!
Friedel

PS I notice that if I decrease the cap size below a certain value ca. 50f Spectre terminates with an error!
See below!

Order  2 used in      54 subintervals.
Order  8 used in       3 subintervals.
Order 10 used in       1 subintervals.
Order 16 used in     314 subintervals.

Conv residual norm = 1.56e-06.
Conv solution-change norm in fdtd = 211e-09.
Number of refinements using multi-interval Chebyshev polynomial spectral algorithm = 1. Total steps = 5166

MIC-PSA finite-difference refinement finished, took 420 ms.

pss: The steady-state solution was achieved in 4 iterations.
Number of accepted pss steps = 5166.
Total time required for pss analysis `pss' was 2.86 s.

Periodic Noise Analysis `pnoise': freq = (100 kHz -> 100 MHz)
Using the operating-point information generated by PSS analysis `pss'.
Working on time-domain noise timepoint 1 of 1 (time=0).

Internal error found in spectre at freq = 100 kHz during PNoise analysis `pnoise'.  Please run `getSpectreFiles' or send the netlist, the spectre log file, the behavioral model files, and any other information that can help identify the problem to support@cadence.com.
   Assertion failed in file `qptv_qpnoise.c' at line 1471.
   Assertion failed.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2007, 5:15pm by Friedel »  

SH_001.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Friedel

CA
Re: PNOISE and kT/C noise
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2007, 9:32am

Hey Guys,

can reallly nobody tell me where my problem is?
I have very simple circuit and I follow exactly the rules as described in
http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf.

But since all other guys obtain the correct result, I wonder where my mistake is?!?

Thanks
Friedel

View Profile   IP Logged
graham

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2007, 8:57am

Hi

I am just looking into these issues and came across your post. I did some theoretical stuff on this in the past. I don't want to work out how to write equations here, but I think the bottom line is the frequency response of your circuit is about 2GHz so you could try increasing the max freq from 100MHz to something much higher than 2GHz. I would be interested to know if that works.

Best regards

Graham

View Profile   IP Logged
Friedel

CA
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2007, 10:58am

Graham,

thanks for the tip, but I already use a large maxacfreq.

Currently I use in the PSS analysis a maxacfreq of 2000GHz,
I switch highorder on, use maxorder 16 and psratio of 0.001.

In the PNOISE setup, my start point is 100kHz my stop frequency is 100MHz.
I use currently maximum sidebands of 5000.

But still my tdnoise result is way too low! Correspondingly, the unsampled noise Sc(0) (Eq. 29 in
http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf) is also too low.

I understand, that since my switch has a very low resistance (in on-state <50Ohm), I have to increase the nr of sidebands,
but I did not see a significant difference/increase between e.g 1000 sidebands and 5000.

From theory the tdnoise is independant of R. Thus I assume a problem in my simulation setup?!
But my circuit is quit simple (see attachment). The switch size is fixed, the capacitor value is fixed,
the common mode is fixed, clock levels and speed is fixed.
The only free parameter are maybe the rising and falling clock ediges. I made these very steep!

I am stumped!

Thanks,
Friedel

SH.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2007, 2:25pm

Setting maxacfreq=2000GHz does not actually cause Spectre to analyze up to 2000GHz. It just sets the timestep in the PSS analysis small enough so that the trailing PNoise analysis can analyze up to 2000GHz.

Perhaps you can simply post your example and we can try it. It is much easier to debug a specific example than it is trying to develop a list of all the possible things that could be going wrong in an example that we cannot see.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Friedel

CA
Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2007, 9:12am

Hi

If somebody likes to resimulate the block,
please find attached the netlist and model file for the simple TH block.

At least I could find out that if I change the the number of fingers/m factor but still get the same W,
the noise changes. This should be the case or? Lips Sealed

For a single W/L=6um/0.1um, I get approx. a sampled noise of tdnoise=62uV (instead of 72uV = kT/C, C=800fF and T=300K approx 27C).
(I think I used 5000 sidebands for this result)

Thanks much in advance!

Friedel

View Profile   IP Logged
graham

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2007, 4:44am

Hi

You say "At least I could find out that if I change the the number of fingers/m factor but still get the same W,  
the noise changes." This would imply you are adding significant parasitic capacitance from the model, wouldn't it? You would have to add a massive 280fF to get the result of 62uV though.

regards

Graham

View Profile   IP Logged
Friedel

CA
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2007, 11:27am

Hi graham,

that what I also consider. Thus I have checked the total parasitic cap added by the switch at the output node.
In total the switch adds approx. 10fF. This is less than <<1% of the total cap!

Thanks for your hint,
Friedel

View Profile   IP Logged
graham

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2007, 7:02am

Hi Friedel

I was hoping that someone else would have tried it. I am not sufficiently familiar with SpectreRF to use it and have not the time to learn it; I can't really justify asking someone else to do it, although I'm interested to know the answer because my company does use it and relies on the results!

Giving this a bit more thought, with the setup you have half the time the cap is floating and half the time it is shorted to virtual ground by the on impedance of the transistor which is about 100 Ohms. The noise is being measured at low frequency (1kHz) so you will have half the time with an RMS noise value of 72uV and half the time with the resistor noise. Maybe the resistor noise will be higher than sqrt(4kTRf) because you may get noise folded down from 200MHz +/-1kHz, 600MHz +/-1kHz, etc. (If the clock was 200MHz - I don't remember what was in your deck). Ignoring this folding down makes the resistor noise negligible so then the net noise in a 1Hz band at 1kHz would be
sqrt[(72*72)/2] = 51uV.

I am not sure if the folding down of noise could increase the resistor noise so as to bring up the RMS level to 62uV but it may do. There may also be an extra contribution from 1/f noise.

In a practical circuit I guess you would be sampling the cap voltage in the opposite clock phase which would mean that 72uV would not be getting reduced whenever the clock is high.

I would be interested to know if this points in the right direction.

regards

Graham

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2007, 10:43am

Have you tried turning off the highorder option? This is a relatively new feature and might still have some bugs. I have used tdnoise simulations quite extensively in the past (without highorder) and the results have always matched very well to theory or to transient simulations I did for checking. You might also start by trying to exactly reproduce the results from Ken's paper and then modifying your setup step by step, always checking if the result is still as expected.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Friedel

CA
Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2007, 2:31pm

Hey Frank,

thanks for the proposal.
I run the script in the original and I obtain exactly the same results as presented in the Ken's paper sc-filters.pdf.
Then I have modified the script, such that I replace the CMOS switch with a single NMOS device of my process and
adapte the supply voltage.
I use the same clk frequency and bandwidth!

The result is almost the same as before, approx 10%less noise, even if I increase the sidebands and maxacfreq.

At least both runs match!

Thanks
Friedel

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.