The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 21st, 2024, 9:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Difference in invoking AMS (Read 3004 times)
krishnap
Community Member

Difference in invoking AMS
May 22nd, 2007, 5:56am

what is the diference between invoking AMS designer from ADE environment and
from Hierarchy editor? Any inputs regardi ng  this?

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Re: Difference in invoking AMS
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007, 7:56am

I found that although the ADE approach requires fewer steps, which is usually good, it does not give you easy access to internal variables inside of behavioral blocks.  On the plus side, the ADE waveform display tool has more analog features, like the ability to generate xy plots.

The HE approach is more cumbersome but it is much better for diagnostics because SimVision gives you have easier access to internal variables. However, in my environment, I must go through some subtle steps to store all variables. It took me a long time to find those options. Perhaps it's me but I spend most of my simulation time in a diagnostic mode. The first several runs of most analyses produce unexpected results. Sometimes it's a modeling error, sometimes pilot error, sometimes a design error.  Simvision also displays more waveforms than the AWD. (I rarely use the other ADE waveform display tool, probably just because I'm not as familiar with it.) Therefore I mostly use the HE approach.

I would appreciate ADE hints I may be missing. Although I use SimVision most of the time,  I think it could be greatly improved. For example, I still haven't figured out how to vertically zoom in on just the ranges I want to see. I usually have to fumble around before I see what I want and sometimes I have to go to the ADE/AWD to get a better view. The lack of good vertical zooming hooks probably exists because SimVision was designed primarily to view ones and zeros.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Difference in invoking AMS
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2007, 1:55am

I agree that ADE seems to have fewer steps... also its easier for those already familiar with ADE.

I would say that its also easy to debug (and access the signals in the vhdl or verilog code) by setting the run options under the simulation banner to interactive (simvision) mode rather than default batch.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.