The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 9:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise analysis (Read 3814 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Noise analysis
May 29th, 2007, 1:42am

Hi all,

just a quick question. If i run a noise analysis, does the simlated output noise have any dependence on input frequency. i.e. i'm not concerned with input referred noise, but the input frequency is not equal to the output frequency. Also it's not a mixer so i'm not sure if i can use pnoise analysis.

thanks in advance,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Noise analysis
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2007, 4:29am

noise analysis is a frequency domain simulation on a linearised (time-invariant) operating point. At any particular small signal frequency it'll compute the output noise at that frequency, with all the components equations using the same value of frequency in their equations and using the computed linear transferfunctions/gains to the the output.
pnoise is useful if you have frequency translation effects in your circuit, such as mixing or sampling etc.
try ken's books and papers on the subject...
perhaps if you elborate a bit more on what exactly you are trying to simulate ?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2007, 5:57pm

i'm trying to simulate a peak detector. The peak detector is followed by a RC low pass filter. My concern is, suppose the bandwidth of my signal before peak detection is 1 MHz: does all the noise in the 1 MHz  band get peak detected and converted to DC? Is it possible to simulate this? i.e. if the noise gets clipped it technically will result in a DC component.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - May 30th, 2007, 2:28am

ok, i think no need for pnoise or anything here.... you can use noise analysis to give you the output noise spectrum.... from this you can get an idea of the amplitude of noise at any one frequency which will be additive to your signal... i think you'll find the noise levels should not be a significant percentage of the signal amplitude you are expecting....

If noise levels are going to problematic (and you can improve your design so that noise becomes insignficant), then a simulation solution would be to simulate using transient noise analysis.

cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 5:54pm

Hi,

I ran the noise analysis and you are right, there wasn't much noise. I was worried that with peak detection, the noise in the signal bandwidth would be converted to a DC component...do you know why that didn't happen?

thanks
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.