The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
spice file compactability in spectre (Read 4854 times)
smarty
Community Member

spice file compactability in spectre
Jun 02nd, 2007, 12:52pm

Hi ,
 I am running a  simulation using spectre, where I have to include a file( package model file) which is in spice format. I am not able to run the simulation using spectre as this  gives a error when reading the contents in this file. Could anyone suggest as to how to use this file to successfully simulate using spectre.

Is there any method as to using a spice file format to simulate with spectre?

Thanks and Regatds,
SBR

View Profile smarty smarty   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: spice file compactability in spectre
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 4:21pm

Should work. Perhaps you should tell us what you did. That might make it easy to identify the problem.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
smarty
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:52am

Hi Ken,
 I am simulating PCie receiver circuit with package model. The package model is in spice format. I am including the package file for my simualtion.
Since It is  in spice format.

when I am simulating the circuit, I get an error that the line which is reading are in spice format, use simulator lang=spice to read this. But if I add the above line at the top of this package file. it still do not simulate.

Could you kindly let me know, what could be the issue,.

Let me know if you still need any information for you to help me.

Thanks and Regards,
SBR

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2007, 3:39pm

What I meant was, Spectre is capable of reading SPICE files, so if there is a problem it is in the details. I was asking about the details. What I was looking for was relevant details. Not that you were trying to trying to simulate a PCie receiver or trying to include a package model. It is hard to imagine how these can affect your ability to read a file and so are not really relevant. Rather I was expecting you to give us the line used to import the package model, the first few lines of the package model, the error message, and the like.

If you give us specifics, we can respond with specifics. This is much easier for everyone. If you don't give specifics, we have to respond with all the possible things that we can think of that might be wrong. That is a waste of our time and of yours. There are few people willing to respond to these types of questions. The best thing is to actually give a simple example that exhibits the problem that we can try ourselves.

-Ken

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2007, 4:14am

smarty wrote on Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:52am:
when I am simulating the circuit, I get an error that the line which is reading are in spice format, use simulator lang=spice to read this. But if I add the above line at the top of this package file. it still do not simulate.

Ken's right, you need to tell us what the line is that you're using to import the file.  My guess would be that this line -- which is in the netlist -- has bad syntax, maybe it's in spice format but the rest of the netlist is in spectre format.  There might also be something odd about the package file file name, eg, I think if a file extension is .scs, spectre thinks it's in spectre format, whereas if it's anything (?) else, spectre assumes it's in spice format until you tell it otherwise.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
smarty
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2007, 6:26am

Hi,
 Thanks for your input. My apology if I had not been specific on my details.

I was able to successfully simulate this. I added the following line just before the spice file.

simulator lang=spice
.include "spice file"

It was then able to simulate successfully.

Once again thanks for your time in helping me.

Best Regards,
SBR

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2007, 2:15pm

You use include in Spectre netlists and .include in Spice netlists. So you should use

include "spice-file"

if you are including from within a Spectre netlist.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.