The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 7:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on PXF & Transient simulation for mixer (Read 2726 times)
James Bond
Community Member

Question on PXF & Transient simulation for mixer
Jun 08th, 2007, 12:20pm

Hi, all

I have been stuck by this problem for several weeks, if someone knows this, please give me some suggestion, any commment would be appreciated.

I designed a passive mixer, first I used transient to find conversion gain (Vif/Vrf), it's about the 0.9 times , almost
-1dB; Then I used pss+pxf simulation to verify the conversion gain, I am pretty sure I set the pxf and pss form correctly, but the simulation result shows that the conversion gain is about 20dB, it conflicts with the transient simulation. Could you tell me what will cause this problem?

Thank you very much.
Best Regards
Bond

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: Question on PXF & Transient simulation for mix
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2007, 2:39am

Hi,
Take a look at:http://www.cadence.com/community/virtuoso/resources/SpectreRF_Mixer533AN.pdf to take a look at the pps+pxf configuration just to check it. Also I doubt that doing a Vif/Vrf give you the correct gain in a mixer unless you have filtered the output due to the harmonic components,leakage and other effects.
Good luck,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Re: Question on PXF & Transient simulation for mix
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2007, 7:58am

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have checked that doc, and my setting is correct. BTW, the Rf freq is 1.9G, the Lo freq is 1.91G.

I also simulate the core passive mixer individually, the conversion gain is about the -4dB with a capacitive load about 300fF, I check this conversion gain with both transient simulation & pss+pxf, they are coincident; Then I add some other circuit which can achieve extra gain before the passive mixer, then this time, the transient simulation & pss+pxf are not coincident. If the filter worked before, it will also work this time.  And I think that the transient simulation will also consider the parasitic filter effect.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.