The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 6:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
chain of mosfet in verilog-A (Read 5982 times)
Darius

chain of mosfet in verilog-A
Jun 12th, 2007, 2:58am

Hello!!! This website is wonderful!
I'm working with a "chain" of mos and I created a module for the instance of child model like this:

mos m1 (.g(gate), .d(d1), .s(source));
mos m2 (.g(gate), .d(d2), .s(d1));
mos m3 (.g(gate), .d(drain), .s(d2));
but :
1)how to plot the outputs of single mosfet like each gate current or charges?
2)how is possible to decide from simulator netlist if to connect 2 or 3 mosfets in the chain?(I'm thinking about if or case statement but this block is outside the "analog begin" and this solution doesn't work.
Please, can you help me?
Best Regard to all!
Darius Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: chain of mosfet in verilog-A
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2007, 4:07am

Darius wrote on Jun 12th, 2007, 2:58am:

This is a simulator-specific implementation detail; your simulator may or may not provide access to that information, and you'll have to read the documentation to find out how to get it.

Quote:
2)how is possible to decide from simulator netlist if to connect 2 or 3 mosfets in the chain?(I'm thinking about if or case statement but this block is outside the "analog begin" and this solution doesn't work.

I think what you want is presently not possible within the language (there's ongoing  work in the committee to permit the "generate" construct to do this).

However, you might be able to get similar behavior by setting up the chain for the longest length you might want, and then use a parameter to select how to short out the chain.

Code:
module moschain(drain, gate, source);
 //...
  parameter integer short_to = 0 from [0:2];
  mos m1 (.g(gate), .d(d1), .s(source));
  mos m2 (.g(gate), .d(d2), .s(d1));
  mos m3 (.g(gate), .d(drain), .s(d2));
  analog begin
    if (short_to == 1)
	V(d1,source) <+ 0;
  else if (short_to == 2)
     V(d2, source) <+ 0;
  end
endmodule

If short_to == 2, then d2 will short to source, and only "m3" will be active.  If short_to == 0, then the LRM specifies that the default for the branches is zero flow, meaning that there are no shorts, and the current has to flow through all 3 mosfets.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Darius

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2007, 10:13am

Darius wrote on Jun 12th, 2007, 2:58am:

This is a simulator-specific implementation detail; your simulator may or may not provide access to that information, and you'll have to read the documentation to find out how to get it.

I use simucad smartspice version 2.24.3.R and I didn't find yet this property in the documentation.

I have also convergence problem with chain for gate voltage>0.8, it's possible to be a problem because I use a chain? I'm not able to reach it.

Tank'u for reply, second answer is a smart idea Wink

Best regard

Dario

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2007, 6:01am

[quote author=Darius link=1181642337/0#2 date=1181668438]Darius wrote on Jun 12th, 2007, 2:58am:
I use simucad smartspice version 2.24.3.R and I didn't find yet this property in the documentation.

Can't say I've ever used Verilog-A in smartspice, and my experience with that simulator in general is very limited.

Quote:
I have also convergence problem with chain for gate voltage>0.8, it's possible to be a problem because I use a chain? I'm not able to reach it.

Very strange!  I assume you can make the same chain in a regular spice netlist; does it work there?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Darius

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2007, 5:57am

[quote author=Darius link=1181642337/0#0 date=1181642337]
Quote:
Very strange!  I assume you can make the same chain in a regular spice netlist; does it work there?

I tried to do the same chain in regular spice netlist but I don't know how to do...
My code is
Code:
YVLGBmos 1 2 3 Bmos
.model m_Bmos VLG MODULE=Bmos
Xm_Bmos g d s Bchain

.subckt Bchain g d s
m_Bmos1 g d1 s Bmos
m_Bmos2 g d d1 Bmos
.ends Bchain

X g d s Bchain

vgate g 0 dc 4
vdrain d 0 dc 0
vsource s 0 dc 0

I think it's bad, I don't have many experience ...

I tried also to do the verilog chain with another mos module and it work, so it can be that my module have some problem?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2007, 5:15am

Darius wrote on Jun 14th, 2007, 5:57am:
I tried also to do the verilog chain with another mos module and it work, so it can be that my module have some problem?

Seems likely to me.  Did you try running some basic i-v curves on the module that has problems?

Darius

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2007, 6:08am

[quote author=Geoffrey_Coram link=1181642337/0#5 date=1181909700]Darius wrote on Jun 14th, 2007, 5:57am:
Seems likely to me.  Did you try running some basic i-v curves on the module that has problems?

Yes, the module works regularly alone.
With chain it doesn't reach the convergence of intermediate nodes voltages.
But the code for the spice chain has some problems? Cry

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.