The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 8:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
[q] In verilog-A (Read 2340 times)
Renekim

[q] In verilog-A
Jun 24th, 2007, 5:28pm

Dear All,

In the verilog-A manual, it says "the procedural statements in a block statement are executed sequentially in the given order".
  I thought all the statements were executed concurrently in the block (such as analog block).
  Does this means the following two blocks are different?
  analog begin
      @(timer( ...))
           state = ( condition ) ? 1 : 0;

v(out) = state;
  end
 analog begin
     v(out) = state;

@(timer( ...))
           state = ( condition ) ? 1 : 0;

end

Thank You

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: [q] In verilog-A
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2007, 5:33am

Yes, the blocks are different.

I assume you wanted
 V(out) <+ state;

else your module just sets an internal variable.

The statements are evaluated sequentially, so you can also have:
x = 5;
x = 7 + V(in);
V(out) <+ x;
and have no ambiguity or race condition about what voltage is on the output.

I recall something about the analog block being evaluated "instantaneously" which may have been the source of your misconception; the solver may actually call the analog block repeatedly as it tries to converge at a timepoint, but this is transparent to the user, simulation time does not advance.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: [q] In verilog-A
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2007, 10:43am

The way I think of it is this: The analog block is evaluated every instant of time (this is not literally true, but it is the ideal towards which the simulator is striving). Within the analog block, the statements are evaluated sequentially, however unlike local variables, signals maintain their value over an instant in time. By signals I mean node and branch voltages and currents. So what I mean by this is that variables can take different values during the evaluation of an analog block, but signals always maintain the same value over the entire evaluation of the analog block.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.