The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 8:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Warning from Spectre (Read 4419 times)
Tommy

Tokyo, Japan
Warning from Spectre
Jul 2nd, 2007, 9:46pm

Hi ,
I get this warning from spectre when simulating a voltage multiplier circuit :

The bulk-drain junction leaves the linearized region.
Warning from spectre at time = 780.473 ns during transient analysis `tran'

I see that at this time point, the current into the bulk of PMOS is indeed very large (above 25mA)

Is this a warning sufficient to judge latch-up of the circuit?

Tnx
Tom

« Last Edit: Jul 03rd, 2007, 1:25am by Tommy »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Unique

Russian Federation
Re: Warning from Spectre
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2007, 11:13pm

Hi, Tommy!
Sorry for my maybe inappropriate question, but what kind of ciruits You design?

View Profile Unique 200831583   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2007, 2:32am

Hi Tommy,
Tommy wrote on Jul 2nd, 2007, 9:46pm:
I see that at this time point, the current into the bulk of PMOS is indeed very large (above 25mA)

In a process with an n-well in p-substrate, every PMOS includes a parasitic pnp; the PMOS n-well (bulk) is the base of this pnp.
So you get a current from PMOS S/D to p-substrate that is beta (current gain of the pnp) times your bulk (i.e. base) current!

BOE

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2007, 4:59am

Boe -
But that parasitic PNP is generally not included in the spice models.

Tommy -
I find it odd that you got a notice that it was leaving the linearized region; do you also have an earlier warning that it is entering the linearized region?  When it is in the linearized region, then the current is inaccurate (linearized instead of the true exponential).  Of course, immediately after it exits the LR, it will still have a very large bulk current.

Whether you get latch-up or not depends on how the 3rd terminal of the BJT (the source of the MOS in this case) is connected.  However, in the case that the drain-bulk current is linearized, that means that the junction is forward biased (p drain higher than nwell bulk).  Usually, latch-up occurs when the junction is reverse-biased (for a PMOS, avalanche current from bulk to drain lowers the bulk potential such that the source-bulk junction is forward-biased).

The impact ionization current is responsible for sustaining latch-up, so you can't just measure the external base/bulk current and multiply this by beta.  (BVceo is sometimes measured by detecting where the base current changes sign!)

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2007, 6:39am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Jul 6th, 2007, 4:59am:
Boe -
But that parasitic PNP is generally not included in the spice models.

True. However, if you have significant bulk current (forward biased Drain/Bulk diode), you must take the pnp into account.

BOE

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.