The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 12:48am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
questions about the transient response of a pll (Read 4674 times)
calven

questions about the transient response of a pll
Jul 03rd, 2007, 7:27am

hi!
 i am a freshman in pll design.i have designed a pll in transistor level.the simulation tool is spectre.the voltage domain model corresponding to the first waveform is implemented with veriloga presented as a comparision,and the simulation time is 30u.the circuit corresponding to the second waveform is implemented with transistors,and the simulation time is 3u.according to the waveform,we can see that the waveform settles to a ripple(and the curve is not a line,but at some instant the curve has different values).it is more obvious in the third figure,which is a part of the second figure zoomed out.what cause this?
 additionally,the ripple will last for a long time.i have simulated the circuit with the simulation time of 50u.the amplitude of the ripple maybe decreases,but not apparently.however,the ripple of the veriloga model  decrease quickly.the veriloga model and the transistor circuit basiclly have the same parameters,and what is the reason?
 give me some explanation and advice,please.thanks a lot.i am sorry that i can not upload the image bigger
best regards

pll-veriloga.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
calven

Re: questions about the transient response of a pl
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2007, 7:55am

the second figure is as follows:

pll-transistor.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
calven

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2007, 7:56am

the third figure is as follows:

pll-vctrl.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:06pm

First you should ask yourself: what is the source of the ripple? Then you should ask if that source is modeled in the Verilog-A model. Perhaps the ripple is due to a dead zone exhibited by the phase detector. If the verilog-a model did not include a dead zone, then you would not see the ripple.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
gavi

Bucharest
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2007, 8:03am

Hi,

What kind of phase detector have you used?

Best regards,
Gavi

View Profile   IP Logged
cmc

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2007, 12:01pm

It is useful to simulate the PLL components individually, and then combine them one at a time in an open-loop sense and checking that the intermediate and output signals are what you expect.  This way you can pinpoint sources of ripple, isolated from the loop dynamics.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.