The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 9:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Linearity of Low Power Diff LNA (Read 1430 times)
eng
Community Member

USA
Linearity of Low Power Diff LNA
Jul 07th, 2007, 10:56pm

Hi,
I'm working on a low power (sub mW) differential LNA around 400 MHz. The single ended version had ~-15 dB P1dB but this diff one has ~-37. It is too low. I wonder how to improve this linearity without burning too much current and loosing too much gain.

The following recent post talks about baseband amplifier where tail current source is the reason of IIP3 loss.
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1182847323
I think this is the case for my design as well. But I need experienced guidance on what kind of improvements I should do.

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Linearity of Low Power Diff LNA
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2007, 8:49am

Without seeing your design its a little difficult to tell for sure why you have this problem. Are the single ended and differential versions similar? If you are running a PSS analysis to find the gain compression, check all intermediate nodes to see which one is compressing.

If the linearity problem is indeed due to the tail current then the curve of output voltage versus input voltage should be linear until it reaches a certain point where it will become flat almost immediately. If the output voltage gradually levels off then the tail current is not likely the problem. If you are using a resitive load or PMOS load, you may need CMFB to get good P1dB.

If your voltage gain is very high then low P1dB is to be expected.

Also are you worried about P1dB or IIP3? If it is P1dB then you can design a variable gain LNA. If your IIP3 is too poor then you will need to trade gain, or NF and power consumption.

Anyway i doubt anybody can really answer this properly without a schematic...

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2007, 1:58pm

I can only say that the gain will affect linearity. you can reduce Q to compensate linearity.

View Profile   IP Logged
eng
Community Member

USA
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2007, 4:35pm

Aaron,
I will simulate both P1dB and IIP3. Since I did not get a meaningful response with P1dB did not move on to IIP3.

The topology is classic source degenerated cascode differential LNA with inductive load. 4 transistors are identical. degeneration inductors are on-chip with ~3 nH each. The tail current source is biased from a current mirror with ref current. Tail current source draws 800 uA. The load incutors are ~40nH. Vdd is 1 V.
The voltage gain 23 dB. s21 17 dB. s11 -25dB. NF 1.4dB. Matching is done with a series L.

I just replaced the tail current source with an idc from analogLib. Put the same current value. Simulation gives almost same response. Still ~-35dBm P1dB. Means it is not due to tail current source.

Please let me now if a sch drawing is still needed.

How can I check all intermediate nodes to see which one causes the compression? With swept pss I need an output port element to plot Pin vs. Pout. How can it be done for any nodes in the circuit without a port element?

thanks.
eng

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2007, 6:58pm

Hi eng,

in the swept PSS, when you look for 1 dB compression, rather than selecting output port, you can also select differential nets for voltage. There's really only one other net to check which is the drain of your input transistor. Most likely it is not causing compression since it is a low impedance node.

Changing the tail current to an ideal current source will not tell you whether or not the compression is caused by the tail current since the tail current is supposed to imitate an ideal current source.

I believe based on the information that it is indeed the tail current that is limiting your P1dB. You load resistance is 40 nH which at 400 MHz is only 100 ohm. Therefore given your voltage gain, your Gm is about 0.141. Since your tail current is 800 uA, the 1 dB compression would be roughly 0.0567 Vpk (800u/0.141) which is -35 dBm into 50 ohm. If this is really the case, then you should increase your load resistance. This can be done by replacing your load inductors with a resistor, or better yet, a PMOS load with CMFB (better P1dB). You should then lower Gm to meet voltage gain requirements.

Sorry if my calculation is wrong...i kinda rushed it.

BTW, if this is a fully integrated design, you don't really need to worry about S21, simply load the LNA with the mixer input impedance and find the voltage gain.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2007, 3:55am

Hi eng,

it seems i did make a mistake in my calculation...I forgot to multiply the load inductance by the Q of the inductor to find the resistance...so it is not 100 ohm unless your Q is 1.

Anyway check the P1dB curve again. If the output power linearly increases with input power and then very suddenly levels off then it is due to current limiting (tail current)

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
eng
Community Member

USA
Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2007, 12:16pm

Hi Aaron,
Your replies are very enlightening for me. Thank you so much. I attached vgain(xf) nf(noise) s11(sp) and p1dB(swpt pss) graphs. p1dB is -38 dB.
Which of the followings is more effective to improve linearity? If there are other ways could you add them to the list. Or if anything is wrong correct it as well.
1) Reducing gm by decreasing W and increaing Vbias of input transistors -> Less Gain more NF
2) Increasing tail current (it was 800u total 400u each branch) -> More power
3) Using resistors as load instead of ind.s -> More NF.

Does cascode transistor has anything to do with linearity?
Does the L (I'm using 500n in 0.18um process) of tail current source contribute to linearity?

Thanks

diflna.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2007, 6:49pm

Hi eng,

you were right, the low P1dB is not likely due to your tail current. Changing the load inductors to resistors shouldn't work, and neither should increasing he bias current since your Gm would correspondingly increase. Naturally if you reduce gain (by Gm) you will improve P1dB, but i don't think that's what you want. Since you have only 1 V supply, P1dB will not be great. I think you should check the 1 dB compression of the drain of your input transistor (M1?). If it is around -38 dBm, then it is the node that is causing the gain compression. Also check the drain of M1's DC level (0 harmonic) in the swept PSS analysis. You may find that the input signal is causing the DC drain voltage to drop => compression...

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.