The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 6:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ADC T/H Linearity and No. of Bits (Read 7016 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

ADC T/H Linearity and No. of Bits
Jul 10th, 2007, 8:12am

Some literature will state their T/H circuits are designed for 8-bit linearity. Which simulation they run and which spec they judge whether it is 8-bit linearity?

In my opinion, since T/H circuit input and output are all analog circuits. No INL/DNL spec can be put there. Are they measuring SDR and compare it with SNR requirement of certain No. of bits?

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: ADC T/H Linearity and No. of Bits
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2007, 8:36am

Hi neoflash,
neoflash wrote on Jul 10th, 2007, 8:12am:
In my opinion, since T/H circuit input and output are all analog circuits. No INL/DNL spec can be put there.
Why not? Measure the DC characteristics and compare the linearity error with the LSB of the 8-bit ADC which follows it.

neoflash wrote on Jul 10th, 2007, 8:12am:
Are they measuring SDR and compare it with SNR requirement of certain No. of bits?
Also possible, but not really an INL/DNL spec, is it?

BOE.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sid
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2007, 2:28pm

Hi Neoflash,

You can also run an FFT (pick a settled point in your analog output) and see if the SFDR compares with an ideal N-bit quantizer.

SFDR-ideal = 9N (approx)
(See "Spectral Spurs due to Quantization in Nyquist ADCs" by Pan and Abidi)

-Sid

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2007, 5:00am

boe wrote on Jul 10th, 2007, 8:36am:
Hi neoflash,
Why not? Measure the DC characteristics and compare the linearity error with the LSB of the 8-bit ADC which follows it.

BOE.

I do not think there is any DC characteristics meaningful for T/H circuit, which is essentially a dynamic circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2007, 5:02am

Sid wrote on Jul 10th, 2007, 2:28pm:
Hi Neoflash,

You can also run an FFT (pick a settled point in your analog output) and see if the SFDR compares with an ideal N-bit quantizer.

SFDR-ideal = 9N (approx)
(See "Spectral Spurs due to Quantization in Nyquist ADCs" by Pan and Abidi)

-Sid

I do not think it is very practical way, since transient simulation does not show random noise.
However, seperate calculation is possible. Any literature doing this analysis for us? thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2007, 6:05am

Hi Neo,

Since you are simply interested in linearity of the S&H, it is possible to simulate this using transient analysis, followed by FFT.
There are 2 components to this problem: DC nonlinearity & AC nonlinearity.

While the S&H is a dynamic circuit and it does not make much sense to do a DC nonlinearity measurement, it is sometimes useful
to do and it is certainly possible to do so:

1. Apply a DC input and sample this with your S&H. Plot transfer curve to see any DC nonlinearity in your S&H, for instance due
to nonlinearity in the S&H amplifier if you use one. If the design is not done well, then even this simulation may show you something.

2. Apply fullscale AC input at maximum frequency of interest and look at the harmonic distortion from the transient analysis. You
need to setup your simulation carefully for this, using suitable strobing, or else you will only get garbage. Two-tone or mult-tone
IMD can also be done this way.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2007, 6:49am

OK, I'm biased on this: I simply don't like to measure time domain or DC parameters in the frequency domain unless it can't be avoided.
So if I want to see dynamic effects, I'd rather try to get a "DC transfer function" from a transient simulation than do something in the frequency domain. But of course it also depends on what's relevant for your application...

BOE

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2007, 6:55am

vivkr wrote on Jul 11th, 2007, 6:05am:
Hi Neo,

2. Apply fullscale AC input at maximum frequency of interest and look at the harmonic distortion from the transient analysis. You
need to setup your simulation carefully for this, using suitable strobing, or else you will only get garbage. Two-tone or mult-tone
IMD can also be done this way.

Regards
Vivek

Vivek, thanks for the reply. By the way, what do u mean by suitable strobing?

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2007, 3:00am

Hi Neo,

I just meant that you need to strobe the outputs at the point where they are settled, using the "strobeperiod" feature
in Spectre. Using coherent sampling is also advisable as it improves the resolution of the FFT. With this approach,
you often can get good results even with very few samples (128-256 points are mostly enough).

After this, I usually look at both the input and output spectra.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2007, 9:54pm

Hi Neoflash,

A probably faster method to what Vivek is proposing is to run a pss analysis. The harmonic distortion can be readily obtain as a result of this analysis. If I´m correct, with this approach you do not even have to worry about strobing appropriately the signal in order to get accurate results.
The distortion will give you the ENOB for the S&H linearity.

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.